Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a Rubicon

Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJV
I'll tell you the interior isn't something I wanted to mod, which is why I went best interior and worried about the off road and flashy looking mods for the exterior and undercarriage. GO SAHARA! Especially as a daily driver. I had a 2.5" lift, new rims and 35s put on immediately. Which ate up the $3k I saved from a stock rubi and have the nicest interior, which I appreciate more on a daily basis.
I didn't look at the saharas. How's the interior different? I have a rubicon and have leather, heated seats, touch screen, subwoofer in the back etc
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gump9005
I originally planned on a 2012 Sport but I keep looking at the Rubicon (which is a little past the upper limit of what I can afford). I keep telling myself it would not only be cooler to own but it would save the pain in the ass and cost of labor of installing all the goodies a Rubicon has on my future Sport.

The deal is, I would mostly use this as my daily driver and would not go off-road a lot. I'm also realizing that a lot of off-road situations that would require the tools the Rubicon has, would be a situation I would not want to be in with a new, nice looking Jeep.

I'm not experienced with off-roading so I can't really fully appreciate the differences between the Sport (which I would plan on putting 32" mud tires on) and the Rubicon.
Do yourself a huge favor and WAIT until the 2012's come out -- You will be able to get a great deal on a 2011 Rubicon if the new Pentastar takes off with the Jeep crowd.

Best way to buy a vehicle in my experience is to not show them emotion (wives are great at NOT doing this with the 'oh my God', "I NEED this', "I really want this' statements). Tell them you are thinking POSSIBLY about buying one but don't need one as a primary vehicle. With this approach you set the salesman's expectations low that you are not a 'qualified' buyer. The approach then becomes how can I hook this buyer? They really have nothing to offer with exception to offering a 'nice discount' off the MSRP. If they offer a great deal and one you sit down to negotiate, the game changes, stand up (if your ready to walk out or not -- it shows them you are serious about not needing this vehicle) shake a hand and say thanks but no thanks. Negotiation really is a game -- those who play the game better usually come out on top.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
If i did it again i would get a Rubi for a DD. and an X if i was going to build it up with axles Atlas transfer case etc. Also the 4.1 gears would be a help on larger tires.

looks like i suck at talking people down
Ditto

I bought a rubicon and am slowly building it up. I really like the rubicon but buying an x and building it up is a great option. It just depends on cash.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJV
I'll tell you the interior isn't something I wanted to mod, which is why I went best interior and worried about the off road and flashy looking mods for the exterior and undercarriage. GO SAHARA! Especially as a daily driver. I had a 2.5" lift, new rims and 35s put on immediately. Which ate up the $3k I saved from a stock rubi and have the nicest interior, which I appreciate more on a daily basis.

A loaded Rubicon has the nicest interior offered on any Wrangler... everything your Sahara has plus a few buttons it doesn't... Axle Lock and Sway Bar.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
A loaded Rubicon has the nicest interior offered on any Wrangler... everything your Sahara has plus a few buttons it doesn't... Axle Lock and Sway Bar.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jimk403
If you can't swing the extra bucks for the Rubicon payment, will you be able to pay the credit card payment, at higher interest, when you start modding it? For us, it was easier to pay the few extra dollars a month for the Rubicon to get all the stuff we would have added later anyhow.

Why would you assume that I would want to go into debt with credit cards?

It's no wonder why the credit card companies are doing so well!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got a rubi, because I lucked into it. If I was in my 20's, I would get the base and build it until I 50. But, life, kids and such, no jeep in my 20's.

Now that I am in my 50's, as I said, I lucked into the rubi. Got it used for 17k with 1,200 miles on it. Yes, you read the correctly, 1,200 miles. The dealer was desperate and wanted my liberty. I did as someone posted, showed no real interest and got a great deal on it.

As a side note, after life and being in my 50's, I like that the rubi has a bunch of the stuff to off road with in the CO mountains. Saves on my back a bit. Get what you can afford I guess.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regret not getting a rubi somewhat, mostly because of the D44 front axle and tcase but my sahara goes everywhere I point it. Do the rubi if you plan on wheeling it, if you dont just do an X.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
You say that a Rubicon is a bit past what you can afford. In my opinion..buy the sport then. To me it doesn't make sense to strap yourself financially and to not be able to do any mods...just to have a Rubicon.

Both are cool to own...why because it is a Jeep...end of story. To most people out there who don't own wranglers or know them...it is cool and it doesn't matter that it says Rubicon or not.

To me, buy the vehicle you can AFFORD, then you can do your mods and make it your OWN. After all...isn't that what this is all about. None of us have the exact same JK...we have all turned then into an extension of ourselves...our personalities. Which makes them all similar...yet different.

Good luck in your decision-
Well said. 100% agree
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gump9005
I originally planned on a 2012 Sport but I keep looking at the Rubicon (which is a little past the upper limit of what I can afford). I keep telling myself it would not only be cooler to own but it would save the pain in the ass and cost of labor of installing all the goodies a Rubicon has on my future Sport.

The deal is, I would mostly use this as my daily driver and would not go off-road a lot. I'm also realizing that a lot of off-road situations that would require the tools the Rubicon has, would be a situation I would not want to be in with a new, nice looking Jeep.

I'm not experienced with off-roading so I can't really fully appreciate the differences between the Sport (which I would plan on putting 32" mud tires on) and the Rubicon.

If you are strapped, buy the SPORT so that you have $$$ left over for gas!

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Rubicon