Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a Rubicon

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omaste
Rubicons are made to go where other Jeeps might fear to tread.
Can you specify? My Sahara and my brother's YJ can go anywhere a stock Rubicon can go
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a little searching for a good used Rubicon if that is what you want. We found ours for 25k with only 19k miles on it. Just gotta search around a bit. Ours is my wifes DD and she loves it. We didn't set out for a Rubi, just came across a great deal on one and got it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omaste
Rubicons are made to go where other Jeeps might fear to tread. That being said, is there any chance that because of this the insurance on a Rubicon might be higher? I know the insurance on my Magnum R/T (HEMI) was more than a regular Magnum because of what it could do, and what I might do with it. Just a thought.
I'm not sure the insurance difference between different Jeep models. But to go between a 2001 Volvo XC-70 and my 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon, it worked out to about $5 more a month. I was surprised, I thought it would be a lot more.

Last edited by LeftyStrat; 07-07-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftyStrat
I'm not sure the insurance difference between different Jeep models. But to go between a 2001 Volvo XC-70 and my 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon, it worked out to about $5 more a month. I was surprised, I thought it would be a lot more.
My 08 Sahara JKU is $30 cheaper a month than my wife's 08 350Z. Go figure!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
You say that a Rubicon is a bit past what you can afford. In my opinion..buy the sport then. To me it doesn't make sense to strap yourself financially and to not be able to do any mods...just to have a Rubicon.

Both are cool to own...why because it is a Jeep...end of story. To most people out there who don't own wranglers or know them...it is cool and it doesn't matter that it says Rubicon or not.

To me, buy the vehicle you can AFFORD, then you can do your mods and make it your OWN. After all...isn't that what this is all about. None of us have the exact same JK...we have all turned then into an extension of ourselves...our personalities. Which makes them all similar...yet different.

Good luck in your decision-
Good answer. You can do minor mods to the sport and if you ever find yourself in Rubicon style situations you can think about the mods then. Plus, when you make it through obstacles unlocked you look just that much cooler
Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

one of my coworks got a rubicon unlimited right after i got my sport, then this idiot when all out on lift tires and bumper and other stuff. he never really uses his jk is only a hood crawler as i call it. but after spending around and extra 8,000 as he always say's he decided to sale it the funny thing is he never got to sale it so he had to trade it off got a rav4 because he just could do the payments on the jk plus on all the other stuff he added. so really think about it what you really WANT i got my jku for $28,000 and i just spend around another $5,000 on tires (with warranty for 4years free balance and rotations for 4years), wheels, lift and bumpers and lights and i love my sport.

p.s i know this dude that live by my girl he got a bone stock jku and he added D60 front and rear with lockers and more that he told me for under 40,000 sound's to good to be true but look around
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't ever plan on going off roading, and I got a rubicon. I liked the leather, touch screen, heated seats, etc
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

My story--walked into dealer fully prepared to buy a rubi, mo doubt about it. I had a really knowledgeable salesGIRL!!!

After a 5 minute interview with me she learned I would only moderately wheel maybe once a month. As a dd she recommended a sahara--test drove it and bought it. Saved about 5k and very happy. Buy what you will need and not what you want.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gump9005
I originally planned on a 2012 Sport but I keep looking at the Rubicon (which is a little past the upper limit of what I can afford). I keep telling myself it would not only be cooler to own but it would save the pain in the ass and cost of labor of installing all the goodies a Rubicon has on my future Sport.

The deal is, I would mostly use this as my daily driver and would not go off-road a lot. I'm also realizing that a lot of off-road situations that would require the tools the Rubicon has, would be a situation I would not want to be in with a new, nice looking Jeep.

I'm not experienced with off-roading so I can't really fully appreciate the differences between the Sport (which I would plan on putting 32" mud tires on) and the Rubicon.
For the people suggesting D60s and stuff like that, please read the bold paragraph posted by the OP.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy the sport, you will be amazed by what it will do right out of the box. Extreme off-road isn't for everyone, you may be perfectly happy spending a day on an easy trail with the family. Why pay for something you may never use. As you feel the need to be more adventurous you can mod the sport to suit your needs. Either way your going to have something that is fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Rubicon