Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a Rubicon

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is to go with the Sport. As numerous other posters have mentioned, half the fun is planning your build. Use the money you save on the payments and build it as you like. I have an X model and have plugged away at it over the last year and a half and have enjoyed every moment of it. You'll learn a lot more about your Jeep as well in the process.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Or, look for a great deal on a used Rubicon like I did with my black one and save some on at least the 1st year of depreciation....even though Wranglers don't depreciate much at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys and gals!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Just do it! The X is the only way to go. 24s package . My 08 x will go anywhere a rubi will and do better than a rubi in some places. (Ie: sand and various terrains)

Last edited by woodweavil; 07-07-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get what you can afford. Especially if this is going to be your DD and not a toy.

I am serious, I have read the whole thread and nobody has mentioned that owning a Jeep is not exactly cheap.

They are gas guzzlers and gas is not cheap, you will have to factor in a few hundreds a month in gas alone on top of the monthly payment, more if you get the Rubi because of the extra weight and higher ratio.

Preety much any mod will give Chrysler the chance to void your warranty too so any repair will be out of your pocket. Jeep warranty doesn't offer a car while it's at the dealer being repaired so you would have to pay or rent one to go to work, if you break something wheeling its out of your pocket, etc. Buying used means no factory warranty too.

It would suck to mess your credit up if you get your jeep reposessed because you couldn't afford it.

Also, the monthly payment HAS to be paid every month but you don't have to spend money on mods if you don't have to.

Having a Jeep is fun, any Jeep, but strugling to make a payment every month is not.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

are you specifically looking at the 2012?

you can get a used Rubi for a pretty decent price if you look around.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on getting what you can afford. I really wanted a Rubi but it would've been a huge stretch, so I wound up with a sport, and I love it. Do I wish I got the Rubicon, Yes; do I regret buying the sport, No. For what my finances allowed, it was either a Jeep, or a lame car, I think any Jeep is better than a lame car.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I'll toss in my $.02.

I bought the Rubi. Why? I did not want to spend the time/effort installing things I knew I would want down the line: lockers in the front and rear, 4:1 xfer case, 4.10 gears, and sway bar disconnects. All of that came ready to go at a fair price and is all has the factory warranty. D44 in the front was a bonus too.

One thing to think about: if you get the Rubi, you are ready to go out of the box. If you get the Sport, you need to find someone to regear it and add lockers ft/rear. Let's say that is $1000 per axle (probably more with ARB lockers), next, you want a lower xfer case - that means an Atlas case at a couple grand or a used Rubi box, so let's say $1500 installed. Next, a D44 front end, say you get lucky at $1200. Well, now you have a new Jeep with no warranty on a bunch of parts that may or may not be installed correctly, plus all the time needed to install/have them installed. That was too much for me, so I bit the bullet for the extra $5K or so and went for it. I do not regret the decision and would do it again in a second. Hunt around, and you should be able to get a Rubi for under $30K, less if used.

So, all that being said: if you do not need these things, do not buy them. If you just want slightly bigger tires (so you do not have to regear), and a budget boost, the X would be perfect for you.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 07-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One can always opt to waiting longer and build up more savings to get what you really want. Pushing yourself to get something now just to get it done may not make you happy in the long run if you already have any doubt on a Rubi or not.

I was already set on getting another Rubicon and just patiently waited until the exact one I wanted (a 2010 model in black) showed up on craigslist 3 Fridays ago (4 months after I made the decision).
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Rubicons are made to go where other Jeeps might fear to tread. That being said, is there any chance that because of this the insurance on a Rubicon might be higher? I know the insurance on my Magnum R/T (HEMI) was more than a regular Magnum because of what it could do, and what I might do with it. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Rubicon