Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a Rubicon

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of us have faced the same dilemma.

When I bought my X, it was about $8000 more to get a Rubicon. I knew that I would be getting more into wheeling, and had plans to add mods over the years to come. So I wanted to keep that 8 grand in my pocket and spend it later on mods.

If you're not even planning on doing a lot of wheeling, then I'd say it's a no-brainer....go with the Sport.

My theory on jeeps is, the more fancy electric equipment you have, the more stuff will break a few years down the line. Rubicons are already starting to have problems with the e-sway bar & e-lockers.

To me the only benefit to the Rubicon is the Dana 44 in the front, and people are already ditching those for ProRocks.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 Rubi and the wife has an 11 sport. My Rubi is geared way lower than hers (of course) and doesn't get as good gas mileage. When on the highway I am in 6th and revving at about 2400. Her's purrs at 1800. Just my 2c.

If you're not going to go heavy off roading you don't NEED a rubi to have fun. Just get a winch to pull yourself out of spots you MAY get stuck in!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find that the sport does everything you want it to. You can pickup a set of Rubicon takeoff rims and tires and no one will really know the difference. If you don't plan on getting very extreme with your Jeep, lockers and bigger axle won't ever come into play. There are lot of people on here driving sports and doing most everything a Rubi can. I wouldn't get over my head in payments. If you find that you need something more, it can always be added later.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rubicon

In the long run, you'll probably save money getting a Rubicon. If you plan on going mod crazy (axles, t-case) go with an X. If you're like me, you will probably go mod crazy anyway. Hey like a few other people said; get what you want. If you want the Rubicon and buy an X, you'll look back and kick yourself for not getting the Rubi.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

i went through this as well.. i went with the rubi because i knew it would be stock for a long time. i knew i wouldnt be happy driving a stock x around and also knew the rubi would be a lot more capable out of the box since i didnt have the money to mod right away.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you won’t be doing much off-roading. Any rock climbing?
I say just get the Sport. It is a very capable machine and you won’t regret it. Plus you will have some $ (and more) for a nice set of wheels and tires.

I went for the Sahara only to get the options that were not available on the Sport. With the $ I saved vs getting a similarly loaded Rubicon, I got myself a nice set of 35s and a lift. My JK look more badass than any stock Rubicon for less $.

My .02
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gump9005
I originally planned on a 2012 Sport but I keep looking at the Rubicon (which is a little past the upper limit of what I can afford). I keep telling myself it would not only be cooler to own but it would save the pain in the ass and cost of labor of installing all the goodies a Rubicon has on my future Sport.

The deal is, I would mostly use this as my daily driver and would not go off-road a lot. I'm also realizing that a lot of off-road situations that would require the tools the Rubicon has, would be a situation I would not want to be in with a new, nice looking Jeep.

I'm not experienced with off-roading so I can't really fully appreciate the differences between the Sport (which I would plan on putting 32" mud tires on) and the Rubicon.
If you truly are not going to take the vehicle offroad and use the Rubicon for what it was intended for, then don't strap yourself for cash just for status. Go with what you can afford, and save money for all the upgrades you will spend endless hours salivating over. You may want to think about what options are important (e.g. hardtop, automatic, manual, etc.) and focus on what you really need. Which ever vehicle you buy, base Sport or loaded Rubicon, will absolutely put a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Default Wait

I say wait and save for a bigger down to reel that payment into your price range.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Get the one that your comfortable paying monthly. If you're going to be offroading alot get the rubi. If not a stock sport is more than enough 4x4 to get you around and still have some $ left over for some aftermarket parts.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I could do it again I would have got a Rubi first. By a long shot. Oh well. I would get a used Rubicon for less than the price of a 2012 X any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Rubicon