Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Talk me out of a 2011 Rubicon...

Old 07-13-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of a 2011 Rubicon...

I, like many others, have been waiting for the 2012 and the refreshed power plant.

That said, the current incentives along with some aggressive negotiations have put me in a postion to pick up a 2011 Rubicon at a price that really has me stressed.

The only real pro I see with the 2012 is the refreshed power plant. The color selection for 2012 does not appeal to me all that much.

I currently have a 2010 JKU Sport so I am not hurting for a rig, just looking for an upgrade.

Thoughts...
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hypractv
I, like many others, have been waiting for the 2012 and the refreshed power plant.

That said, the current incentives along with some aggressive negotiations have put me in a postion to pick up a 2011 Rubicon at a price that really has me stressed.

The only real pro I see with the 2012 is the refreshed power plant. The color selection for 2012 does not appeal to me all that much.

I currently have a 2010 JKU Sport so I am not hurting for a rig, just looking for an upgrade.

Thoughts...
Not going to try and talk you out but the only upgrade between the 2010 and 2011 is the softer touch materials on the interior, right? Why would you spend extra to do that alone?

The new powerplant will be both more fuel efficient and have more power for cruising (and a better transmission if you're an automatic transmission person). That with the nicer interior, I can kindof see why you would upgrade (though with a jeep still that new, I would still think along keeping it and trading it later).
Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a 2010, I'd wait for a 2012. Its only months, and the MSRP is nearly the same as a 2011. Its worth it just to have a year model newer, even if it had the same engine.

But, for those who don't have a jeep, or have an older one, I'd take advantage of the incentives, and bargain away for a remaining 2011. I think there's real doubt that the new power plant will live up to the hype. Anytime you increase anything by 50% (hp in this case), it requires a whole redesign from suspension to drivetrain to chassis, etc. And if they had done that, wouldn't they put a new skin on it? I think the body redesign doesn't happen till 2013 or 2014. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my doorlessness and worry about trading when they have something *really* compelling to trade for. Just my skeptical $.02
Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great points so far for sure.

The reason I am even entertaining it is the move from a Sport to a Rubi at a huge discount + incentives.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypractv
Great points so far for sure.

The reason I am even entertaining it is the move from a Sport to a Rubi at a huge discount + incentives.
The discount you are looking at is significantly more than Tread Lightly?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

I had in my mind that I was going to buy a 2012, until the 0%/60 month deal came out. I thought I'd at least see how low I could get a dealer by leveraging my knowledge of the 2012 and knowing that its likely to be on lots next month.

I got the dealer down to $2000 under invoice or roughly 6% under invoice on a 2011 Rubicon. 0% financing for 60 months compared to 3.5% financing for 60 months saves you approximately $3500 in interest.

For me, saving $5500 outweighed the benefits of the Pentastar and the five speed auto. Also, I assume from a purely monetary standpoint that $5500 is less than the value of the new engine and transmission. If you took into consideration the MPG savings, I'm sure after a decade or so, I would come out even. But I'm buying a Jeep, so that had no impact on my decision.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

If you're going to save $5,500 on the '11, then you could use a part of that money to put gears in the '11 and then it would smoke the '12...and you're still saving money.

I still think a lot of peeps are in for a rude awakening. The '12 only has 20 lb/ft more torque at peak...which means in day to day driving it's going to feel only slightly stronger than the '11.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
DJR
JK Enthusiast

I bought the 2007 when it first came out (in Feb). I had a decent amount of new model issues (trans, etc). I would give them a year to work out any kinks they may find with the new engine / transmission.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I sat in a 2011 JK with the new interior at the dealership, and it made my 2010 JK interior look and feel like garbage. Chrysler used all the money they saved on cheap low grade steering components and put it into a fabulous new interior. I'm surprised at the quality and comfort of the new interiors, BUT I'd still wait for the new powerplant of the 2012s. That way you get the better interior AND better powerplant.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJR
I would give them a year to work out any kinks they may find with the new engine / transmission.

Just my 2 cents.
x2 with my 2 cents. Always seems to be problems with a "new" model introduced

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a 2011 Rubicon...