Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tail gate damage

Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail gate damage

So I apologize if this should go elsewhere, but since it is regarding the stock tail gate I posted here.

I did something stupid this morning, after having bought a few pieces of "L" shaped brackets for doing a lock-box mod. I placed it in the back of my JK (front to back ), and when I closed the gate, it didn't shut all of the way.

This is why:

I wanted to get some suggestions on what to do to fix this. I pulled off the little grill cover you see in the pic, but there is a sheet of metal between that open space and the outer piece I damaged. This means I could just knock it out and fix it. I thought I would ask all of you to see about suggestions before asking a body shop. I don't want this to rust out (luckily it is on the inside).

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

pop it out and mount a fire extig right there and seal the hole with rtv. you've got a mounting hole already, I say go with it. A bunch of 4dr autos have caught fire, I alway carry one just in case.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull it out if you can and stickers are awesome for covering up spots like that
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just paint over the exposed metal and call it a battle scar.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with RedneckJeep, you're are gonna gouge that gate inside again anyway....
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah, I will definitely be doing some touch-up painting, but I am not sure if I can really pull or pop out this wonderful little mistake of mine.

I like the extinguisher idea, but I think it is a little too low for that.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2drREDROCK
Pull it out if you can and stickers are awesome for covering up spots like that
That is a very good idea and if you put a very thin metal plate sold in hobby shops or some hardware stores under the sticker and glue the plate over the damaged area filling the dent with the glue , that should cover the dent.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neopj3
pop it out and mount a fire extig right there and seal the hole with rtv. you've got a mounting hole already, I say go with it. A bunch of 4dr autos have caught fire, I alway carry one just in case.
a little off the subject but if my Jeep ever catches fire due to a malfunction from Jeep, I'm getting out the marshmallows and roasting baby!!! Thats why I pay insurance and have a warranty for.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Leave the dent, you can't see it unless its open anyway. Touch p the paint and call it good.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

I did a similar thing probably the 3rd week I had the jeep. I had a couple computers in the back and they slid into the tailgate and put a couple dings in it (removed some paint, but not all the way to the metal).

Once I calmed down, I just figured that I got the first of the damage out of the way so now I don't have to be as worried about it....

Quick Reply: Tail gate damage