Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which T-case failed.
Rubicon Rocktrac
63.64%
Standard T-case ( X/Sahara)
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

T-Case Failures. Who's had them?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Compared to the Coast 1310 I just replaced my stock with.....they were roughly equal in weight. I would say the Coast was slightly heavier but not much.

If anyone is wondering where im going with this......rotating mass.
Makes sense to me. You might be on to something.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

After reinspecting Joeblobs front output shaft I do not think it has anything to do with weight, pinion angle etc...

When we removed the front yoke you could see marks on the machined surface of the shaft on one side and not on the other. It appears the yoke is pulled to one side which would preload the bearing more and cause bearing failure. With the front yoke installed there is a few thousandths difference from one side to the other. The next time I have my Jeep on the rack I will remove the front driveshaft and yoke, install the tera yoke, and check bearing preload to see if it has a tight spot.

joe, does Tera use Neapco Yokes?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Are you suggesting to off-center your front axle on purpose to make the front drive shaft straighter?
Not at all.

I'm talking about the actual machined yoke being slighty out of square meaning one slide of the yoke is longer, splines cut shorter, or something to where the bearing has undue stress, or extra pressure, on one side of it.

It would have nothing to do with the driveshaft at all.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Wish I knew more about this, good question.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

A non-concentric yoke should be easy to detect.
Jack up a front tire and have a helper spin it. Put a reference stick next to the yoke and see if it moves toward and away from the stick as it rotates.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I knew vibes were bad. Some bad enough to cause damage. But man!... That's like a grenade went off in it. Had it given you any other warning previously? The reason I ask is I pulled my front DS yesterday because it had a buzz coming from it at around <60. It seemed to be getting worse so I went ahead and pulled it. Before taking it off I always inspect to see if there is any obvious causes. The T-case side had a lot of slop. I figured it might have been a U-joint going in the double cardan but it turned out to be the yoke was LOOSE. I guessed the vibrations over time had worked the nut loose. I re-torqued it and left the DS off. Took it for a ride and it was smooth as silk, like new again. So it was definately the cause for the buzzing. After seeing you guy's pics, I'm going to clean off the T-case and inspect for any hairline cracks since there was a little fluid present. I figured it was loosing it around the loose yoke but, I'm not so sure now.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mine exploded today!!!

See thread I posted just now for details. It exploded and busted in half!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I've been reading more and more about the T-case failing. I checked out the poll results on this though and have only seen that 18 people have actually voted on this....does that mean that only 18 people have had recorded failures? I noticed that over 3,000 have viewed the poll. I'm just trying to figure out if this is something that I really need to worry about right now. It's definitely something that'll be on my mind.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like if you switch to a regular style driveshaft it could be a problem up front. Need to make sure they give you the high angle style cv joint to avoid problems.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default Vibration Damper

This pic is of a TC on a 2007 JK Rubicon and has a vibration damper. Does anybody know why Jeep didn't bother to install these in the 2008 and up? Has anyone had a transfer case explosion with one of these on their TC? All of the pics I've seen of explosions don't have one and I'm wondering if it would be worth finding as insurance.

Quick Reply: T-Case Failures. Who's had them?