Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which T-case failed.
Rubicon Rocktrac
63.64%
Standard T-case ( X/Sahara)
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

T-Case Failures. Who's had them?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

It might be a factor regarding front bearing lube if you also consider lifted JKs have probably eliminated the stock forward rake, effectively tipping the t-case back a little more.
I was thinking that aswell. But also , eliminating the front rake would seem to increase the ds angle.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I was thinking that aswell. But also , eliminating the front rake would seem to increase the ds angle.
Yes, it would.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how many of you have noticed that our tcase sits at about a 5 degree angle up towards the front. It doesn't sit level. Seems to me this may help contribute to the poor angle we have to run in front for castor, maybe even poor lube of the front bearing. On the auto tranny anyway.
Good point. Makes for a good reason to run a higher end t-case fluid.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, it would.
Yeah , thats what I ment by poor angle in my other post, forgot to add ds
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Good point. Makes for a good reason to run a higher end t-case fluid.
What's higher end than the ATF-4 synthetic? Brand?? Side note: pulled my frt ds today, I'm getting kind of a whine with it now. Although slight , it's there. Don't wanna blow the t-case before Moab EJS. I actually need to get a DS with a new yolk for the t-case, I currently have a JEreel oem replacement. In fact Jim Reel said I should really change it and get the yolk closer to the t-case rather than have the flange.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-17-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Did your t-case at least look like it had fluid on the outside of it? Some of the pictures even the case looks pretty dry......

Just wondering if I need to start checking my t-case fluid levels.....
Actually the fluid was fine. There was a puddle in the skid plate under the transfer case. what saved the gears and stuff was that Eddie was driving in front of me and was looking back when it happened. He radioed me and I immediately put it in neutral and coasted off of the road.
I bought a new case and had the dealer in Utah and had them install the old internal parts to the new case.
Then drove home.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

I originally had the OEM JE Reels. After talking with "Jim", I sent tem back and had them rebuilt as the heavy duty version with the replacement yokes. I was able to work with the castor angles a bit more.

After reading this thread, I am beginning to wish I hadn't opend this can of worms for myself! I really do like this Jeep though!

Last edited by kflash; 01-17-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanc
it seems to me that the driveshafts are deffinitely part of the problem. Unless you get those things in a perfect position they vibrate and kaboom. Why does someone not make a driveshaft with the same joints as the stocker, with true CV on one end and u joint on the other that can be rebuildable and maintained easily.
AEV is actully coming out with these soon. They were shown at SEMA last year.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I forgot that AEV is coming out with one. Yup that is exactly what I was looking for. I bet this is going to solve a lot of problems with vibration, and transfer case explosions. It will have the clearance also due to the smaller diameter.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's higher end than the ATF-4 synthetic? Brand?? Side note: pulled my frt ds today, I'm getting kind of a whine with it now. Although slight , it's there. Don't wanna blow the t-case before Moab EJS. I actually need to get a DS with a new yolk for the t-case, I currently have a JEreel oem replacement. In fact Jim Reel said I should really change it and get the yolk closer to the t-case rather than have the flange.
I'm thinking of Royal Purple, AMSOIL, Redline, MOBIL1. I'm running ATF-4 synthetic now, I think Valvoline? I'm planning on changing out for one of above mentioned brands.

Quick Reply: T-Case Failures. Who's had them?