Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Survivor Man

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apostle
Les is way better then Bear. His crew is within radio range and he also has a gps tracker on him. just in case.

But les carries all his stuff by himslf while bear doesnt carry anything.

Bear will eat more off the wall crap though, litterally. did you see the one where he ate apple pieces out of the bear crap? nasty.

but, Les is more funny. almost burns his shelter down a quarter of the time.

My vote is for Les. Canadians are better then the English anyway.
Ya...the apple in the bear crap is damn near as good as squeezing and drinking the juice out of elephant dung.
I love it when Les is playing the harp, stops and causually says....."I wonder if mt. lion (or polar bears, or grizzlies) are attracted to harmonica sounds"...???!!!
Cracks me up...
BTW.....What's going on with Les now...??? Wasn't his last show the one in Paupa New Guinea? It sounded like he has something else up his sleave tho. Has anybody heard what that might be?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Les is the man!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

poll'ed up!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Hmm. I don't think so. Yes, his support/clean-up crew is only a few miles away--but what are "a few miles?" Ten or twelve could easily be a few, and it's probably a lot closer to correct than your post would suggest. And he does carry a Sat phone--has even commented on that during an episode or two. But what good is that if he falls down a cliff and is rendered unconscious? He could be dead before any rescue team ever found him.

Les Stroud is the real deal. When my son made Eagle Scout, I wanted a letter from Les congratulating Curtis. So I wrote Canadian Broadcasting Corp. A couple weeks later I get an e-mail from his personal secretary saying that Les was excited to do this, and for me to call him at his number. So I call thinking I'll reach her and she'll take a message and so on. But she gave me his personal cell number. I went direct to him. We exchanged several calls and e-mails over the next few weeks. He's a decent guy--no pretense whatsoever. Which is why I believe that the shows are as they seem (okay, maybe he does exaggerate just a little on some of the dangers, but that's it).
I trust the helicopter pilot that I use for Forestry work as well as and I am very good friends with. Survivorman used my buddy to fly his crew in and out for this episode as well was part of this episode and he saw first hand that Les had help out in the field. The show I am talking about is the one flying Les into the Glacier site in the Rocky Mountains which was situated 150km north of Revelstoke. His crew were not a few miles away try a few hundred meters away. The site where he stayed next to the river his crew was only 200m away just across the river and a short walk to a logging road to which you drove about 20km on the FSR and hit the main highway and a townsite "Mica" was only 15km away.

My buddy stated it was all camera angles and that Les was not alone as he stated in the episode....but I will admit the show does show great survival techniques just as Bear demonstrates great techniques.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi

Other than this vague assertion of a helicopter pilot heard third-hand, there's no reason to suspect Les is being less than honest.

HAHAHA....pilot heard third hand....try the pilot that flew Les and his crew in and was part of the episode.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Other than this vague assertion of a helicopter pilot heard third-hand, there's no reason to suspect Les is being less than honest.
LOL.....pilot heard third hand....try the pilot that flew Les and his crew in and was part of the episode 6 "The Mountain".

I laughed his crew or himself can't even get the Helicopter company correct on the episode introduction and they state they had Canadian Mountain Air Rescue Service that flew them in - Try googling this company....Non-Existent. LOL.

Try my buddy "Matt" who's part owner and fly's that A-star "Kokanee Helicopters" that flew Les and his crew in.

Even in the introduction on his website in E6....you will see the kokanee symbol on the helicopter (rear exhaust) as they land on the glacier mountain top. If you don't believe me yet.....google: kokanee helicopters and look at the A-star E350 in the photo on the website....Wow.....resembles the helicopter in Episode 6 and that helicopter even has the identical Kokanee helicopter graphics near the rear exhaust which is seen in Episode 6.

Must be third hand information??? Kokanee Helicopters based out of Revelstoke/Kelowna. Try the actual pilot.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 03-01-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
LOL.....pilot heard third hand....try the pilot that flew Les and his crew in and was part of the episode 6 "The Mountain". ...
I meant heard third hand by us, the readers of this forum. Sorry for the confusion.

As for who is telling the truth: We each have our own opinions on the subject of how alone Les is, and you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Survivor Man