Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Survivor Man

Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Well, even going to school learning about plants and trees at Tech school & University and done some survival trips over the years....I still learn some new plants that are edible. I am still leary of mushrooms....but over the years I can identify several edible mushrooms that I do come across in the bush just from talking with local pickers or even aboriginal people.
Boy I wish I knew my mushrooms, as we have all kinds of different ones up here as I bet you do there. I love em, but just can't make myself take the chance. For years I've been saying I'm going to figure out which ones are good, but I still haven't gotten round to it. I think I just have to take a walk in the woods someday with color photographs in my pocket.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Boy I wish I knew my mushrooms, as we have all kinds of different ones up here as I bet you do there. I love em, but just can't make myself take the chance. For years I've been saying I'm going to figure out which ones are good, but I still haven't gotten round to it. I think I just have to take a walk in the woods someday with color photographs in my pocket.
Best is to grab mushrooms and put them in your backpack and find someone in your community that buys wild mushrooms or knows mushrooms to help you better identify the edible mushrooms! This is what I have done over the years and you usually don't forget which ones are edible.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
YOU have been FOOLED....
Hmm. I don't think so. Yes, his support/clean-up crew is only a few miles away--but what are "a few miles?" Ten or twelve could easily be a few, and it's probably a lot closer to correct than your post would suggest. And he does carry a Sat phone--has even commented on that during an episode or two. But what good is that if he falls down a cliff and is rendered unconscious? He could be dead before any rescue team ever found him.

Les Stroud is the real deal. When my son made Eagle Scout, I wanted a letter from Les congratulating Curtis. So I wrote Canadian Broadcasting Corp. A couple weeks later I get an e-mail from his personal secretary saying that Les was excited to do this, and for me to call him at his number. So I call thinking I'll reach her and she'll take a message and so on. But she gave me his personal cell number. I went direct to him. We exchanged several calls and e-mails over the next few weeks. He's a decent guy--no pretense whatsoever. Which is why I believe that the shows are as they seem (okay, maybe he does exaggerate just a little on some of the dangers, but that's it).
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ummm not really sure how that proves his show is the real deal. I love both the shows and they teach us things we normally may not know, and entertain us which is the point, but in my opinion Comman Sense tells us his support crew is only feet away.
On his show lastnight he was in Alaska, amongst the grizzlys. His shelter caught fire in the middle of the night while he was sleeping. Ya he may wake up on his own and deal with it, but with out a support crew he may die in his sleep. Grizzlys, mt lions or what ever arent gonna give Les the oppertunity to call for help, specially while he is sleeping. Even if he did manage to get a call off, even at 1mile away the bear would kill him before help could arrive.
My point is there is just to much to risk as a network not to provide him emmediate support all the time. The show makes the networks alot of money, and there not going to risk losing that.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Talking

Just wanted to let anybody knows that if they everwanted that product (spot)they would have it for sure in an outdoorshow, just saw one recently ;you have to buy the unit and there will be a yearly subscription fee.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iansjkjeep
Just wanted to let anybody knows that if they everwanted that product (spot)they would have it for sure in an outdoorshow, just saw one recently ;you have to buy the unit and there will be a yearly subscription fee.
How much was the yearly due on it?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Deviant
Ummm not really sure how that proves his show is the real deal. ...
Les makes it clear during his show, and on the specials that are on his DVDs, that his support crew is not located "a few feet away." He is by himself, on his own, left to his own devices. When that fails him, and it has during a couple episodes, he makes it clear when and what help was brought in. Other than this vague assertion of a helicopter pilot heard third-hand, there's no reason to suspect Les is being less than honest.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-28-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
And from what I've gathered, from Les's own words, is that his pickup crew is never that far away. And I'd have to bet is within radio range if need be.

I wouldn't go as far as to say bear is a fake.....I mean he does do the things he does. It's just that he does have immediate backup....but he's never tried to hide that.

I do like Les more tho......he's more personable, funny, and a lot less "Hollywood" glamorization.

Les is way better then Bear. His crew is within radio range and he also has a gps tracker on him. just in case.

But les carries all his stuff by himslf while bear doesnt carry anything.

Bear will eat more off the wall crap though, litterally. did you see the one where he ate apple pieces out of the bear crap? nasty.

but, Les is more funny. almost burns his shelter down a quarter of the time.

My vote is for Les. Canadians are better then the English anyway.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deviant
... The show makes the networks alot of money, and there not going to risk losing that.
Les produces the show himself, and sells it to Discovery. think i read that somewhere.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well since Les says it on tv it must be true............just like Oxi clean can get stains out with out the use of a washing machine

Quick Reply: Survivor Man