Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Survivor Man

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

sorry
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
Wow! I'd never seen this before. $121 & free shipping from Amazon. Just got added to my "GOTTA HAVE" list
BTW Stroud does the entire shoot alone...Grylls has an entire crew, survival advisers and the like. I mean come on how many of us are ever goin to be stranded in the Sahara and have to eat raw goat nads . I watch em both. Great entertainment.
Ya......One thing that Bear does that I don't agree with......he does hairy crap, ie, (free climb, run white water rapids, etc...) that you would never do if you FOR SURE wanted to get out of your situation alive. I think most of the time he just wants to show us how good he is.....can you say "Hollywood"...???
Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Jedi

And from what I've gathered, from Les's own words, is that his pickup crew is never that far away. And I'd have to bet is within radio range if need be.

I wouldn't go as far as to say bear is a fake.....I mean he does do the things he does. It's just that he does have immediate backup....but he's never tried to hide that.

I do like Les more tho......he's more personable, funny, and a lot less "Hollywood" glamorization.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW Stroud does the entire shoot alone....

YOU have been FOOLED....Les Stroud was up near Mica Dam area in my company's TFL (Tree Farm Licence) in Revelstoke, BC shooting an eposide and actually had his crew with him. My buddy who is a Helicopter Pilot for Kokanee Helicopters flew Les Strouds crew in and out for the episode. My friend mentioned to me while having a few beers last summer about him having to fly into the area everyday bringing in supplies for Les and his crew was only a short walk way from Les. Also, he joked about his crew had to fly'in and make sure no Grizzly's bear's had him for lunch.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 02-23-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi

BTW Stroud does the entire shoot alone....

YOU have been FOOLED....Les Stroud was up near Mica Dam area in my company's TFL (Tree Farm Licence) in Revelstoke, BC shooting an eposide and actually had his crew with him. My buddy who is a Helicopter Pilot for Kokanee Helicopters flew Les Strouds crew in and out for the episode. My friend mentioned to me while having a few beers last summer about him having to fly into the area everyday bringing in supplies for Les and his crew. Also, he mention that Les's crew was only a short walk way from Les for safety issues. Also, my buddy joked about Les's crew had be checked on everyday as well to make sure no Grizzly's bear's had Les or his crew for lunch.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Deviant

This "Spot" gps, has a set up so your friends and family can keep track of all your movements on the computer just for kicks. It also has a emergency call button so that if you do get lost or hurt or something along those lines, when you push the button it sends a signal with you location to a national emergency responce group. Thought it was pretty cool. I seen the commercial on the "Versus" channel.

My forestry company uses these Spot GPS's for safety issues. I pack it with me when I am out alone doing some road & block surveying/layout. It is really handy especially if you get cornered or treed by a Grizzly Bear or have a broken down sled or ATV!!!! My company has been nice enough to allow me to use it for hunting in the fall in case I get stuck or hurt. Makes the wife feel better!

We got the spot setup in which when the 911 button is hit it contacts our safety person on call for the week. As well, that person will track you till 6pm at night and if you have not contacted him to inform him you are safe, he will get a crew together & head out and find you based on the last GPS coordinates.

The only bad thing is the wife or boss can track you in real time
Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
YOU have been FOOLED....Les Stroud was up near Mica Dam area in my company's TFL (Tree Farm Licence) in Revelstoke, BC shooting an eposide and actually had his crew with him. My buddy who is a Helicopter Pilot for Kokanee Helicopters flew Les Strouds crew in and out for the episode. My friend mentioned to me while having a few beers last summer about him having to fly into the area everyday bringing in supplies for Les and his crew. Also, he mention that Les's crew was only a short walk way from Les for safety issues. Also, my buddy joked about Les's crew had be checked on everyday as well to make sure no Grizzly's bear's had Les or his crew for lunch.
Well it's not the first time and I'm certain it won't be the last

BTW Did I mention that I REALLY DON'T CARE

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 02-23-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Well it's not the first time and I'm certain it won't be the last

BTW Did I mention that I REALLY DON'T CARE
both give some really good tips on survival
Old 02-23-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
both give some really good tips on survival
Yes they do......The one thing that I have always been really jealous of is how many, as Les calls them, "wild edibles" they know of. Hell it's like they have a fresh salad around them everywhere they go...!!!

But then again.....I think of that movie...."Into the Wild", where that guy came up here, had his book of "wild edibles" and still died from eating the wrong plant.....
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Yes they do......The one thing that I have always been really jealous of is how many, as Les calls them, "wild edibles" they know of. Hell it's like they have a fresh salad around them everywhere they go...!!!

But then again.....I think of that movie...."Into the Wild", where that guy came up here, had his book of "wild edibles" and still died from eating the wrong plant.....
Well, even going to school learning about plants and trees at Tech school & University and done some survival trips over the years....I still learn some new plants that are edible. I am still leary of mushrooms....but over the years I can identify several edible mushrooms that I do come across in the bush just from talking with local pickers or even aboriginal people.

Quick Reply: Survivor Man