Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Survivor Man

Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survivor Man

Anyone else just see the new commercial with Les Stroud??? Its a commercial for a gps device called the "Spot" in case ya get lost or your Jeep brakes down on the trail They showed a Rock Red Jk out in the desert broke down. Thought it was pretty cool, but we all know our Jeeps NEVER break down
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

No haven't seen that one but that's 1 reason why I got my Garmin Trail Nav system. 1) it's battery powered (in addition to the Jeep cradle), 2) it's removable so ya can carry it with you and 3) it's got this "bread crumb" feature so ya can re-trace your route if your lost. I wish the volume was LOUDER 'cause it's kinda tough to hear at highway speeds. Q-Tec wants $900 for it but I got it (new) from Gerry Woods Automotive in NC for $595. Overall I'd say it's OK...I like the 7200 Street Pilot in my motor coach better...there's a write-up (quite some time ago) here on how to install the 7200 into a JK.
Les Stroud IS tough..Bear Grylls is a pussy (but don't tell him I said so)

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 02-21-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
No haven't seen that one but that's 1 reason why I got my Garmin Trail Nav system. 1) it's battery powered (in addition to the Jeep cradle), 2) it's removable so ya can carry it with you and 3) it's got this "bread crumb" feature so ya can re-trace your route if your lost. I wish the volume was LOUDER 'cause it's kinda tough to hear at highway speeds. Q-Tec wants $900 for it but I got it (new) from Gerry Woods Automotive in NC for $595. Overall I'd say it's OK...I like the 7200 Street Pilot in my motor coach better...there's a write-up (quite some time ago) here on how to install the 7200 into a JK.
Les Stroud IS tough..Bear Grylls is a pussy (but don't tell him I said so)
I like em both. And the episode with Les in Paupa New Guinea(sp?) getting high and almost puking off that plant the natives chewed on had me rolling on the floor laughing.
I tell ya.......Bear ain't no pussy that's for sure. Anybody that can eat what he eats and paraglide (or whatever that flying contraption is called) over Everest is one pretty tuff hombre if you ask me.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya I saw that episode of Survivor man, thought that was pretty funny crap too
Bear will eat anything and kill anything, Les hardly kills anything, and Bear is a little more exieting to watch, both have a different approach to survival, but I like what both are trying to teach.

This "Spot" gps, has a set up so your friends and family can keep track of all your movements on the computer just for kicks. It also has a emergency call button so that if you do get lost or hurt or something along those lines, when you push the button it sends a signal with you location to a national emergency responce group. Thought it was pretty cool. I seen the commercial on the "Versus" channel.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are great. A couple of my jeepin' buddies have them. They dont trigger a national security team to come rescue you, but you can setup a list of several emergency contacts that will be notified in case of "what if." You can customize it before each run/journey to call a certain amount of numbers that you preprogram. Also, it allows you to press an "ok" button which will also notify people on a list that you have arrived safely, or whatever. I understand there are a couple of different annual subsripctions you can get depending on how much info you want communicated. I have heard they are around $125 to buy, then another $100-125 per year for the basic service.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I use to ride dual sport for a bit and there was a lot of discussion on Spot.

adventure rider spot thread with lots of opinions, pros/cons

From what I remember most people liked it as additional piece of gear but not an end-all-be-all solution. Its not a sat phone nor a PLB. But it can potentially save you in a bad situation. Or not if the weathers bad.

Seems like some of the issues (at the time, maybe improved?) were:
•not always recording/receiving an "ok" signal/message when sent by user's spot
•working in heavily forested areas (or any area where signal can't hit sat)

It couldn't hurt to have it if you wheel remotely or want additional backup. Just know the limitations & its always good to have contingency tools (sat phone, PLB)
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiJK
These are great. A couple of my jeepin' buddies have them. They dont trigger a national security team to come rescue you, but you can setup a list of several emergency contacts that will be notified in case of "what if." You can customize it before each run/journey to call a certain amount of numbers that you preprogram. Also, it allows you to press an "ok" button which will also notify people on a list that you have arrived safely, or whatever. I understand there are a couple of different annual subsripctions you can get depending on how much info you want communicated. I have heard they are around $125 to buy, then another $100-125 per year for the basic service.
Whats the 911/ emergency button, they said on the commercial it connects directly to a national emergency link.?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! I'd never seen this before. $121 & free shipping from Amazon. Just got added to my "GOTTA HAVE" list
BTW Stroud does the entire shoot alone...Grylls has an entire crew, survival advisers and the like. I mean come on how many of us are ever goin to be stranded in the Sahara and have to eat raw goat nads . I watch em both. Great entertainment.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just moved it to my "I gotta research this more" list. Mixed reviews from the buyers/users on Amazon. Looks like ya either love it or hate it.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im willing to bet they both "Struod" and "Grills" have full support crews off camera. Im not for sure/ or and expert, but I bet if someone researched it they'ed find out its a federal regulation that they have to have a full support crew, for such emergencies like Falling off a cliff, wild animal attack, poisonous bite, sinking raft/ shark attack..... and so on. If there wasnt a saftey/emergency crew right there either of these two guys would be dead and the law suits would hit fast and hard, and big brother would come down hard on the whole outfit.

I dont remember what show it was or where I watched to documentary on it, but there was a show along time ago somewhat similar. Only it was a big game hunter, who on film was always out with only his gun and a camera man, hunting big game. They said he had to have a full support crew off camera in case of emergency. It was said all his off camera back up guys carried elephant guns to end any dangerous animal charges quickly.

Think of all the times they try something and it goes wrong and they have to tape it over an over, in comes editing, it has to be a nightmare for producers and such.

I love the shows though, and wont stop watching till there off the air

Quick Reply: Survivor Man