Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

suggestions on deterring a thief

Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all!

I did call the police and filed a report. I was right, the 2 cars that were parked next to me the night this happened had their windows smashed in and a bunch of stuff taken. the radio's, some money, and random other things. apparently i was the lucky one and they only took my gps. i've already ordered a new one, it'll be here before the week is out.

i started getting into the habbit of not leaving anything in my jeep durning the summer because it had no doors and no top.

we'll see what happenes.

my other concern with this is that my friends come over a lot and park their cars out there near my jeep. i've warned them about what's been happening and they are making sure to keep everything out of sight.

if i find the bastard everyone will know it. don't worry i wont do anything stupid, just detain him till the cops show.

there's been a few guys walking around the area that look "fishy". won't make eye contact, won't say "hi" like my neighbors. only seen them once or twice ever. and one guy i saw walking between each car and pulling the handles. before he even got to my jeep i set the alarm off which made about 6 other cars in the lot start going off and he did a brisk walk out of there. haven't ever seen him again, and i told the police about it when i filed my report.

the problem is, where i am is a good neighborhood, but on the other side of this major road, its a bad neighborhood. cops are there every night arresting someone. so a few of those punks wonder across the street and cause trouble.

as soon as i can, i'm moving out of the city.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SONIC
a simple sign should suffice.

"Caution vehicle protected by Smith and Wesson and a Pitbull with AIDS"
thats a good one
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can make a cheap magnavolt. Take an ext cord, cut the end, hook the positive to your jeep metal, (whomever touches then becomes the ground) plug in wall. Not good if kids frequent your area, but if anyone touches your jeep, you'll know from the high pitched girly screams they emit. Also take care to unplug from wall before you goto jeep.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on adding an after market alarm with a 2 stage proximity sensor. A must have on convertibles.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. Nobody pays attention to car alarms anymore and filing a police report doesn't do much. Organizing a neighborhood watch in your complex is probably your best bet. The local police will help you set it up, It has proven to be on of the most effective tool to deter crime.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default thief

best detirent for thief "lead pill"
Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Idea

My grandfather had an idea. While in WWII they had a problem with a few army jeeps going missing. They didnt know who the theif was but figured it was a local with feelings for the other side- so he came up with an idea. He rigged explosives under the seat with a release switch- you could sit down but get up or hit a bump= OUCH- then he parked the jeep where he figured the local thief would come and find it. A few nights later they heard the bang- No more theif- of course no more jeep either.

Maybe a bit over the top-

Quick Reply: suggestions on deterring a thief