Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

suggestions on deterring a thief

Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry suggestions on deterring a thief

Ok, there's been a recent string of vehicle break in's where I live (apartment complex) and last night I was the victim. Well... the car next to my jeep was the victim really, because they busted in the windows and took a bunch of stuff. Luckily and maybe un-luckily for me, I forgot to lock my jeep so they just opened the doors instead of busting the windows in and proceeded to go rambling through my stuff. I know this because I came out this morning and the contents of my center consol and glove box were all over the floor and seat. Now, I’m smart enough to know not to keep anything extremely valuable in the jeep. The only thing worth any value is the gps antenna. It’s no good without the unit (aka my cell phone). Normally I lock it up in my glove box and lock that and the center consol. But I do that in the summer time because I have no doors. In the winter I figure that because the doors are locked, it would be al'right. Guess I was wrong. But that’s the only thing they took. Looks like they were going to take my inverter as well, but left it. Everything else is accounted for. My tire gages, maps, rausch creek pass, etc.

Now... the gps antenna is only $50-60 bucks. So I’m not terribly upset, just ticked off that someone was in my jeep going through my stuff. I don’t like people messing with my things without permission. Last person that took something from me and I caught him got a broken nose and I had a long talk with the principal.

I’m wondering if I should call the cops and ask about the other break in and if it was reported and if so, to let them know I was also robbed. Should I do that or is a small thing like a $50 gps not enough to report?

But the main question is, what can/could I do to deter this f^#ker from coming back? Beyond sitting on my patio all night waiting for him.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call the cops and file a report. If the person gets caught, that just means they will get charged with more crimes.

Now as for things you can do to deter a theif:

1. Add a real car alarm that is pressure sensitve, and not the kind where you have to open the door. A car alarm with a 180 or 190DB will be enough to make ears bleed if he ignores it.

2. Buy guard dog that sleeps in the jeep. He will really think about it twice. Also your neighbors will be happy cause the dog barking out the window will scare him from going into their cars also.

3. Wait up for the guy tazer. hehehe, have fun with that one.
4. Talk to local PD and see if they can send a cruiser by and make it part of their normal routine to check.

5. Park in a different area that is secured AKA parking garage, or in private lot.

Personally I say 1 or 3.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

sounds like you have a good plan as is, just don't leave anything of value in the Jeep and leave it unlocked. Very unlikely they will hit your jeep again, because it was not worth anything for them. A good alarm might help, but they will grab and go long before you can wake up and get outside.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely file a report. Not only will it be worse on the guy if and when he is caught, but it'll also bump up the crime statistics for the area hopefully making it more of a priority so that it gets on the police' radar so to speak.

I'm glad they took the time to see if the door opened.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Put a Dye pack in your glovebox and hook it up so when you open the glovebox it goes off. Choose a color that you want your interior to be. Sorry about your break in.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Junkie

That sucks Alex! At least they didnt do any damage. My old roomate had his TJ broken into several times and each time they sliced the windows. They even busted his console and glove box open the one time he locked them. Thats why I quit locking the center console and glove box.

I really dont have any great advice for you, but as others have said, a good alarm and file a police report. Or maybe organize a watch with your neighbors so you can take turns waiting for the SOB with a sniper rifle
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

No where is safe. Sorry that you've been inducted to the victims club.

Only suggestions I have:

Park in a well lighted area.

Leave it unlocked.

Take everything out at night.

Leave the glove box and center console open.

Theves will think you were already hit or at least see that there is nothing to steal.

You may want to leave your windows rolled down because very stupid theves will break the glass before trying the door.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the dog idea, get a good old German Shepard, Bouvier, etc. GI
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get a motion activated wild life camera and attach it to the rollbar. Have it also trigger the alarm. You will now have his picture and with the alarm going off he will just run without touching the camera.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anything you can do to someone trying to break into your vehicle if you catch them without of course sending yourself to jail? Is it legal to beat the **** out of them and detain them until the cops come?

Quick Reply: suggestions on deterring a thief