Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

This Sucks!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Northriver, the guys jk just went up in smoke, have abit of sympathy. Hopefully investigation in this can give some insight. Looks like there is more of his jk left than some that have been seen. Maybe the start can be found
Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 jk renegade
So I'm guessing this has happened before? Just wondering because this is the first one I've ever seen burn up.
And I would hate to know that I put mad money in a jeep just to see it go up in flames.
Please share somemore info on this issue.
Thanks
Yes, there has been far too many. From what I hear it has mostly been auto trannys that have overheated, spewed out tranny fluid onto the exhaust and started the fire. Thus Chrysler's INGENIOUS recall for an idiot light instead of a cooler....
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stinks, glad no one was hurt. There a are way to many posts about burning Jk,s. How do we get more info on how many, have gone up in flames?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Don't be so quick to assume that this was caused by the transmission overheating.
When flat towing there is usually one item that is running that could fail and cause electrical problems, The auxiliary brake.
If there is bad wiring, an electrical could result.
If the sensing mechanism fails, the brakes could lockup,overheat and cause a fire.
If the breakaway mechanism shorts, the same could happen.
I had this happen in our TJ, no fire, but the brakes were red hot and smoking.

There could also be electrical problems with the wiring for the brakes/turn signals.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to statistics, in the United States, there is a vehicle fire every 96 seconds.
I doubt all these fires are Jeeps.

"One in every four fire department responses is to a vehicle fire. This does not include the tens of thousands of responses to vehicle accident sites.
Mechanical or design problems are the leading cause of vehicle fires.
Electrical wiring and fuel are the leading forms of material ignited in vehicle fires."
Sources: NFPA and NFIRS

Take a look at Ford and GM. Not saying the JK does not have a problem, however in doing a search I've found many pic's of Ford Explorers, F150, 250 and so forth. GM's include full size pickups, and Suburbans as well.

As for the JK, perhaps there is a problem, with the transmission, but on the other hand, I'd like to see some statistics on JK fires. Tried but I could not find alot of info except that there were 3 fires involving JK's here in the United States reported to NFPA, one of which was caused by an automatic transmission overheat while towing the JK behind an RV. It was deemed as driver caused by not using a lube pump.

Perhaps some of these fire related JK's were due to modding the vehicle. I don't know one way or the other, but I do know,
We already know the JK has a small V6, which is barely suitable for it in stock form. Then we go ahead and lift, adding larger tires, winches and aux lighting in the front, and plenty of steel in the form of bumpers and plating, sometimes without regearing.
Is it any wonder that the engine and transmission begin to heat up on the road, let alone on the trail where we are moving slow, taxing the engine and transmission even more.
Not saying the JK doesn't have a defect, because I believe that if even one JK in stock form burns to the ground due to a faulty or weak transmission cooler, brake line rubbing a fender, brake overheat due to BAS/traction control, or any other electrical component that was installed for our safety, then it is one too many.

Just to add. Sorry for your loss, just thankful no one was injured or killed in this disaster. A vehicle can be replaced, but a person cannot.

Last edited by Lorrel; 10-03-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cppower
Don't be so quick to assume that this was caused by the transmission overheating.
When flat towing there is usually one item that is running that could fail and cause electrical problems, The auxiliary brake.
If there is bad wiring, an electrical could result.
If the sensing mechanism fails, the brakes could lockup,overheat and cause a fire.
If the breakaway mechanism shorts, the same could happen.
I had this happen in our TJ, no fire, but the brakes were red hot and smoking.

There could also be electrical problems with the wiring for the brakes/turn signals.

Be careful,you'll be accused of working for Chrysler.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
Could be but browse any JK forum and look and see how many of these things are going up in flames. Do you work for Chrysler or something???
No I don't work for Chrysler,I just have the abilty to look at things from more than one perspective.

Could it have been an overheated tranny? Being towed behind an RV though,highly doubtful.

Like was mentioned,there are more than a couple ways a vehicle can catch on fire. Especially those that are used off road.

But I can see its easier to just blame Chrysler.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

So now I'm wondering should I go ahead and install a tranny cooler as one of my first mods. I still have some factory warrenty left do you think it void any part of that if I tap into the cooling lines etc...
On the other hand I think we should put some kind of group together to investgate this matter, And prehaps present something to Chrysler. I mean there is power in large groups. That is of course if it is truly a manufactures problem? And not operator era.

My problem is I would not now where to begin. How to contact so on and so on. I mean I own two JKs now, so its kinda worriesome for me to now this is an on going problem. We need some rock hard evidence on this issue.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a crying man.... but I might have felt some moisture welling up in the corner of my eye when I was checking out those pics.

Sorry to hear man, good luck with insurance!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 09 jk renegade
So now I'm wondering should I go ahead and install a tranny cooler as one of my first mods. I still have some factory warrenty left do you think it void any part of that if I tap into the cooling lines etc...
On the other hand I think we should put some kind of group together to investgate this matter, And prehaps present something to Chrysler. I mean there is power in large groups. That is of course if it is truly a manufactures problem? And not operator era.

My problem is I would not now where to begin. How to contact so on and so on. I mean I own two JKs now, so its kinda worriesome for me to now this is an on going problem. We need some rock hard evidence on this issue.

Thanks
It can't hurt to install a cooler. The dealership would have to prove that your cooler caused a problem that they wouldn't warranty. You might want to talk to them first just to see what they say.

Quick Reply: This Sucks!!!!!!!!!