Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid question about Train Horns...

Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question about Train Horns...

Ive always wanted a train horn by Hornblasters (hope I'm able to say the name on here). Now, here's the stupid question. I need an on board air compressor right to "load up" the horn since it uses air? Or is/are there other types that dont require a tank?

I know the kits normally come with a tank, just worried about where to put it, how to run it, etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you want a train horns you will need a compressor and tank

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 03-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Yea, I noticed they pretty much all come with the kit. Not a bad price if you ask me. Think it might be my next mod! Getcha pull!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of places to mount the tank that are safe and out of the way. If you wheel a lot, the problem you're going to run into is finding some place to mount the horns so that they don't pack full of mud or water.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

The tank is small enough to mount anywhere, right? I wonder if there's a way to mount the horns magnetically under the hood? Or somehow to have a "quick disco" like swaybars in a sense, haha.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Yea, probably the best place to mount the tank is between the radiator and the engine. There are a couple companies that make brackets for it. As for the horns, under the hood would sheild them from the muck, but I'd be afraid of the resonance that you'd get from the hood. Do they make some kind of heat and waterproof sound deadening mat that could be attached to the underside of the hood?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

This is the one I was looking at. Yea, its not much but I'm not looking to get the $1,500 one either. The kit has everything I need. What do you think?

http://www.hornblasters.com/products...8-air-horn-kit
Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

That should work. Here is a couple links to the brackets I was talking about. It looks like you may be able to mount the whole set-up, compressor and all, in the spot behind the radiator. The tank in that kit is the same one in these photos, just a different color. Both Viair 2 gallon tanks.

http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_on_board...unt_copy_1.jpg
http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_on_board...stem_tank2.jpg
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Or you could go all out and just buy a complete OBA system and then just add the solenoid and horns from Hornblasters to the OBA manifold?

Can ya tell that I've already thought through this a million times in my head already?

Last edited by dcharge74; 03-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dcharge74
That should work. Here is a couple links to the brackets I was talking about. It looks like you may be able to mount the whole set-up, compressor and all, in the spot behind the radiator. The tank in that kit is the same one in these photos, just a different color. Both Viair 2 gallon tanks.

http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_on_board...unt_copy_1.jpg
http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_on_board...stem_tank2.jpg
I saw those on the jeepswag site when I was just browsing their page. Looks perfect, but I can probably fab something like that. $50/each x 2... plus the kit. I'll rig my own somehow if I get it....

Quick Reply: Stupid question about Train Horns...