Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid deer in the road! First one in a long time....

Old 10-14-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, being the procrastinator I am, I haven't gotten pictures yet, but after getting a better look at it it isn't so bad, a couple dings/very small dents in the fender and a busted fender flare, plus the fog lamps. I actually brought it to the dealer that night for a couple minor issues including a flat tire so I couldn't get pictures. I will get some when I pick it up tomorrow, I promise.

While it was there I got an estimate on the damage, about $1600, mainly because of the painting of the hood, fender and flare, and it's the dealership. I also let the insurance company know, I don't have to get it fixed now, but they have a record of it and I can get it taken care of any time, but I will have to pay the $1000 deductible. Now to get it fixed now or wait for some more serious trail damage as opposed to the aesthetic damage from the deer, plus I don't want to be without my Jeep for a week It's a good stress reliever after work
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Its that time of the yr glad to hear it wasnt worst I hope you get i fixed soon
Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepnick
hitting a dear is considered an act of god, and therefore not a penalty
Yup, I can confirm this. My wife hit a deer last year and that's the same thing we found out.

Definitely file a claim.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

You're getting $1600 for the repair(well really only 600) BUT, here's how I would spend it.

AEV Hood
Xenon Narrow fenders

and just replace the fogs out of pocket.....I mean, why not?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mudslingin44
fresh meat,you should go and try to find him/her.with a hit like that the deer might not be too far in the woods. "its deer season"
i dont know if it is legal to take a deer by means of vehicle but the freezer will love you,just throw the deer across the hood. um um good!
I doubt very much it's legal, you try and do that with a moose up here and they'll hang ya. I say that because if it was legal everybody would be going out and buying a $100 beater and drive out gunnin' for them. The only way you can get a moose up here if one is hit is if you're on the road kill list.

Oh and to the original op.....be glad it was "just" a deer. Up here we hit moose all the time, and many aren't lucky enough to walk away and tell about it. Yesterday morning it was foggy and I almost hit one not 100 yards from my house. Thank God I was only going about 20 mph or so. Last winter I almost hit a full grown cow moose broadside going 60. That could have killed my daughter and I easily. I hit a young bull back in the early eighties. It was an old truck, but it still mashed in the hood and screwed up the radiator, and it was just a glancing blow. Yeah........it's a real scary thing to hit these critters up here. A big moose can easily total a vehicle....
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Oh, I know it was lucky, I've hit deer and really done damage to my pickup truck, but this was no big deal, I just hopped back in and drove to work, but I know hitting a moose, the moose always wins. I am just going to get it taken care of so I don't have to worry about rust or anything like that. If it happens again, I guess it happens again. Cars and Jeeps can be replaced or repaired, people can't.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Well I finally stopped being lazy and went out in the garage to get some pictures of the Jeep damage, I really can't decide if I should get it fixed ($1000) and have them possibly screw it up worse, or just leave it and get 4 new black fender flares and some touchup paint. I've already let the insurance company know about the damage so I can get it fixed whenever if I want, but I don't know if any good body shops in CT, I know a ton back in MI where I'm from. Anyways, here are the pics, it really doesn't look that badm but what do I know? Guys have gotten WAY worse damage on the trail and just left it.
You can see some of the cracks in the fender flare too

You can see a ding and a spot where the fender is slightly pushed out in this one

The side marker light was cracked

My poor foglights
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Jedi

good thing you had that nice bumper......

Quick Reply: Stupid deer in the road! First one in a long time....