Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stuck Throttle/Cruise Control! HOLY DEFFICATE!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stuck Throttle/Cruise Control! HOLY DEFFICATE!

During what I would call a routine lane change, I aggressively stomped the gas while in cruise mode, but not while cruise was set. The RPM'S red-lined, and I found myself accelerating uncontrollably. I stomped the gas, the break, and just about tore the cruise control stick off the steering column to try and stop it. After a peak speed of near 90, that started at 60, I finally hit something that worked. Has anyone a clue what caused this, and what should I do. Is it the cruise control, accelerator, throttle cable, or another Chrysler POS. I've had this jeep about three months and total mileage is under 25K. I don’t like throwing haters at my jeep, but it scared me enough to be pissed!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

this happened to me once. Same situation. Scarred the crap outta me.
I thought maybe the acellerator got stuck on the floor mat. After pulling over and checking it out im not certain this was the cause. I had winter matts in that were not made for the Jeep. Now I hear of another instance perhaps it was a stuck cable or something.....
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

;Sorry to hear about your scarry monents. However the Jeep doesnt use a cable to actuate the throttle, its all fly by wire. Did you use any kind of programer?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

where you in your corrola and not your jeep?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Funny you should mention that. Last semester (Senior Computer Science student here) I lead a team project and designed a software module that could kill the engine in a runaway acceleration like this. With a brake pedal position sensor, you could even sense a situation where your break lines burst and stall the engine. Nissan already has a similar system though, so it's not something I could try to actually implement and sell. It's a shame it hasn't been implemented on all makes and models.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
;Sorry to hear about your scarry monents. However the Jeep doesnt use a cable to actuate the throttle, its all fly by wire. Did you use any kind of programer?
Well that makes me look toward the cruise control system. I have no programer and stock mats. My cruise has seemed difficult to set anyway. I'm thinking it may be the culprit.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joisey
where you in your corrola and not your jeep?
No Kidding!..
My snide remark about Chrysler was in reference to my 06 CHARGER, and the two Durangos of past. Although my '87 Wrangler I had in high school was loaded with problems too. It was under 40K and stayed in the shop. I realize it is nothing (power train wise) like my JK.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Belated answer to stuck throttle

Originally Posted by udrtkr
Well that makes me look toward the cruise control system. I have no programer and stock mats. My cruise has seemed difficult to set anyway. I'm thinking it may be the culprit.

It was the mats! They were not OEM, and even have Jeep on them. Drivers side about two inche too long. WARNING! If you have after market mats with tire tread and the word JEEP molded into the pattern.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cultprit discovered!

Originally Posted by udrtkr
During what I would call a routine lane change, I aggressively stomped the gas while in cruise mode, but not while cruise was set. The RPM'S red-lined, and I found myself accelerating uncontrollably. I stomped the gas, the break, and just about tore the cruise control stick off the steering column to try and stop it. After a peak speed of near 90, that started at 60, I finally hit something that worked. Has anyone a clue what caused this, and what should I do. Is it the cruise control, accelerator, throttle cable, or another Chrysler POS. I've had this jeep about three months and total mileage is under 25K. I don’t like throwing haters at my jeep, but it scared me enough to be pissed!

It was the aftermarket floor mats with tire tread and the word JEEP in the pattern. Drivers side is too long
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. I think I may have those mats.... hmmm. Actually mine are the Mopar mud/slush mats but I'm not liking that they don't come up behind the pedal but rather stop just under the pedal. If the mat pushes forward 1/8" = stuck accelerator.

I think Rugged Ridge makes a nice mat that fits better?

Quick Reply: Stuck Throttle/Cruise Control! HOLY DEFFICATE!