Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stubby Bumpers in PA???

Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubby Bumpers in PA???

After searching for PA laws regarding front bumpers, more specifically stubby bumpers, with not much success I thought I'd ask if anyone knows if Stubby front bumpers are legal in PA????
Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen anything that says they are not legal. I had no problem getting through inspection with my mid-width bumper, it only covers about half of the tire width.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

I have read and "heard" that PA requires an aftermarket bumper to be of the same materials or stronger and have the same coverage as stock. I have only read of one member of another forum getting hassled for it. He also got fix it tickets for tire coverage and bumper height. Im not sure what ever happenned I think its one of those obscure codes that LEOs and inspection stations tack on if you piss them off. PA has alot of vehicle laws like that.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
Crazy isn't it.. PA has some excessive laws when it comes to off-roading vehicles... maybe the law makers are afraid the cities may be invaded with people & their topless Jeeps with no doors and stubby bummers.. being led by a whole lot of Lights!! I'll get off my soap box now.
My first 3 Jeeps were licensed in PA and only ever got bothered about tire coverage by the fender flare. Even with picky cops, they never bothered me with the stubby bumper on front and I had bumpers that barely went past the frame rails.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

i dont know about pa but i know they are perfectly legal in tx
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your help...I have a Shrockworks stubby on the way and hadn't even thought about the legality issues of it in PA....
Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trailin08
i dont know about pa but i know they are perfectly legal in tx
That is cool . Love TX.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its kinda a gray area in Pa.. In the pa insp. book it should be made of material as strong as stock and be as "wide as original manufactured".. Now, the stock bumper is just plastic for the most part and most inspection shops will not question a real HD stubby,, but if its a cheesy little crap bumper they would and could call you on it. The way the insp law works is if there is an issue down the road liability wise(ie; fatal crash) with the bumper and the state decides the bumper shouldn't have passed.. The inspection tech could be in a heap of trouble,, including fines, loosing his SI license and even his drivers license.. So when you ask a SI tech to look the other way on something you are asking him to put his entire career on the line for your toy..
That said,, Most will pass these as they are way way better than what DC put on.. and most LEO do not know the vehicle codes well enough to write up a width bumper ticket.. but there more than willing to write up a flare or no door ticket if you give them a reason..

Quick Reply: Stubby Bumpers in PA???