Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The story of River Raider and the USPS

Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The story of River Raider and the USPS

Once upon a time, a Jeep owner ordered himself some River Raider Hi-Lift Jack mounts for his '08 JK. He placed the order on July 24th. And he waited for the magic message that would say they had shipped and would provide him a tracking number. But the owner never received any message. That made him sad. Then he got angry and called the River Raider people, only to realize that the phone number that they provided was a cell phone. So he left two messages. But they never called him back. So the Jeep owner called again and finally spoke to someone.

The person he spoke to sounded disinterested and didn't even apologize for not returning his call. And to make matters worse, he still never got any real information on where his hood mounts were. So the Jeep owner called the USPS. The USPS was run by the evil government and they had a history of being lazy and were in danger of being made irrelevant. The USPS told the owner that they had no record of ever receiving the package. So the Jeep owner called the cell phone at River Raider again. This time on August 2nd.

This time he spoke to someone who actually seemed troubled by his plight. Apologies were thrown about and he was promised that some new hood mounts would be shipped immediately, that he would be sent a tracking number, and that he would get them before the weekend. So the Jeep owner was happy. But alas, that happiness ended when he received his tracking number and it kept telling him...

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 03, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date."

So then the Jeep owner got really mad. He called the USPS on August 5th and asked them why his tracking number would say that. The lady on the other end of the line said that many times their tracking numbers do that. The Jeep owner then asked what was the point of giving people tracking numbers that didn't provide any help. The lady grew silent and had no answer for him. She then told him that she found some information. The Jeep owner slid to the edge of his chair, hoping for good news. The lady then said it was shipped overnight and that it should have been delivered on August 4th. The Jeep owner did a facepalm and told the lady it would be silly to place a call to them and ask where his package was if it had already been delivered. She agreed. She then took down every piece of information related to the package and promised the owner he would get a phone call, letting him know what the problem was.

But it was not to be. The Jeep owner carried his phone with him wherever he went, hoping for a call. But none came. He called River Raider again and got the cell phone's voicemail. He left a message letting them know he was not happy about having to wait almost two weeks for two little pieces of metal that should have been at his doorstep four or five days after he ordered them. He also told them that if this situation was not resolved quickly, he would be contacting his bank and filing a claim against the charges.

So kids, the moral of the story is this.

Probably not a good idea to do business with a company that uses a cell phone for its customer service. And also not a good idea for any company to use the post office to ship its products. There's a reason they are in bad shape right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Wow that totally sucks. I agree about USPS tracking, totally worthless

I hope someone gets you some info soon. I was thinking about RR skids, but this kind of changes my opinion of them. Doing business from a cell usually isn't a good sign.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks man. I feel for you. I've been waiting over one month for a set of the new Rugged Ridge mirrors and two weeks on a Congo Cage.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow sorry to hear this, Sounds like something from the bumper guy. Wish both parties involved here the best of luck
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Doing business from a cell usually isn't a good sign.
IDK? In this day and time, it is much easier for a small business to operate this way and it also allows them to accept calls 7 days a week. I'm not taking up for RR. I know nothing about them. I have spoken with Brett from Dominion Off Road on his cell, while he was on a plane. Customer service doesn't get much better than that.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SBEII

IDK? In this day and time, it is much easier for a small business to operate this way and it also allows them to accept calls 7 days a week. I'm not taking up for RR. I know nothing about them. I have spoken with Brett from Dominion Off Road on his cell, while he was on a plane. Customer service doesn't get much better than that.
I agree that's great CS, but is that the only means of communication that company has? Not like RR is communicating 7 days a week in this story.

You hit it on the head with small business... Maybe RR can't keep up with demand... And maybe I should change my view, but I still dont like cell as sole means.

Last edited by BLK08JK; 08-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way the story was written reminds me of Monty Python for some reason.

And now for something completely different.

That totally SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKS! Note to self. When ordering from River Raider, be very proactive on the order.

I hope all things work out for you. It sounds like River Raider should be giving you some SWAG. Just sayin'...
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Wow that totally sucks. I agree about USPS tracking, totally worthless

I hope someone gets you some info soon. I was thinking about RR skids, but this kind of changes my opinion of them. Doing business from a cell usually isn't a good sign.
I had great service and delivery on the RR skids. I recommend them.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate dealing with USPS as there's very little that be done with issues like this and the tracking is a joke.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I hate dealing with USPS as there's very little that be done with issues like this and the tracking is a joke.

Nail on the head. On my last voicemail to RR, I pointed out that shipping by the USPS is not the way to go. And truth be told, I think the USPS are the major culprits here and not RR. Although I'm tired of calling RR and getting a voicemail and no return phone calls consistently.

I don't think that the USPS's tracking is a joke. In order for it to be a joke, it would have to exist. I ordered a Project JK t-shirt from Cafe Press last week. As of yesterday morning, the tracking info still said that the item had not been shipped. I checked it around 1pm, about an hour after my mail is delivered. When I went to my mailbox at 2, the shirt was in it.

Since I got no joy from the USPS and nobody bothered to answer the phone or call me back from RR, I went ahead an called my bank this evening and filed a claim against the charges. My account has been provisionally credited and RR will be contacted by my bank. I'm hoping they understand that this is not the way to endear their company to their customers.

Quick Reply: The story of River Raider and the USPS