Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Storing my Jeep for about 3 months

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing my Jeep for about 3 months

Hey guys,

I'll be parking my Jeep in a garage for 3 months while on deployment. So.....what should I do? I won't have anyone to start her up every now and then. What should I do to make sure she'll start back up when I get back? Any precautions I should take?

Unplug the battery and plug it back in when I get home is the only thing I can think of.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Maybe some kind of fuel stabalizer
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Maybe some type of moisture packs under the seats.

Griot's sells them.

griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/everyday+and+storage/individual+1+lb.+storage+desiccant+bag.do
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel stab but fill the tank first, also I know I've heard about storing it on jack stands and spraying oil into the cylinders from the spark plug holes.

here check out this link
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html

Good Luck Brett!!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

3 months isn't very long for a vehicle to sit, many will sit on the dealers' lots for longer than that before being sold. Pull the battery cable when you leave and don't worry about it. If the battery is in good shape it'll still be charged when you return, if not top it off with a battery charger and start the Jeep up.

If going to Iraq or Afghanistan, stay safe and may God be with you.

Regards,
Richard
Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey Brett cool name, same name here. I think you should lease it to my wife (LilBuddy) for 3 months while your deployed, it's better than long-term storage
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Pull the battery negative cable. No other action needed. 3 months is not a long time for a vehicle to sit, especially inside.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys and the best wishes.

And no, I am not going to Afghanistan or Iraq. So save your best wishes for those guys over there! I'm a submariner. And before you ask, that's all I can say about what I do, sorry.

Last edited by BrettDez; 10-24-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Hey Brett cool name, same name here. I think you should lease it to my wife (LilBuddy) for 3 months while your deployed, it's better than long-term storage
alrighty then ....nice to meet you too ...seriously though winterizing your jeep and storing it for longterm is not that big a deal, do a google on it you'll find some great info on getting it up off the ground, preserving tires, tranny, oil, gasoline in the tank, etc
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
alrighty then ....nice to meet you too ...seriously though winterizing your jeep and storing it for longterm is not that big a deal, do a google on it you'll find some great info on getting it up off the ground, preserving tires, tranny, oil, gasoline in the tank, etc
Sorry if I offended you Other Brett, just busy doing alot of stuff right now, and didn't take the time to type up a longer reply. Thanks for the advice and about the leasing thing? Nobody touches my baby but me and ---maybe--- trusted family! I get very attached to my Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Storing my Jeep for about 3 months