Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

stolen spare tire and rim

Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small piece of advice: if you're using wheel locks, keep the key in the rear under-floor tray. A thief can't open the tray unless the tailgate is open, and it'd be a b*tch to pry open if it was locked.

For those with power locks, you'll notice that even though someone can smash a window and open your door locks, the power lock switch will not operate. This prevents them from opening the tailgate, which might as well be welded shut.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Small piece of advice: if you're using wheel locks, keep the key in the rear under-floor tray. A thief can't open the tray unless the tailgate is open, and it'd be a b*tch to pry open if it was locked.

For those with power locks, you'll notice that even though someone can smash a window and open your door locks, the power lock switch will not operate. This prevents them from opening the tailgate, which might as well be welded shut.
great idea. i had not thought of that
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Default that

that was my fear with getting my 35's and new wheel. so before i did anything i bought the OrFab Tire carrier. i have my carrier and tire pad locked. so they have to cut my locks off first. so far been on there about a year and still have my stuff!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bummer. First thing I did when I got my JK was buy a set of locking lug nuts. Not that I live in a high crime area, but a big ole rim and tire sitting on the back of a jeep almost seems like an open invitation.

Karma's a biotch... hope they get what's coming to them.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by o7jk
Just need to vent......some piece of sh*t stole my spare tire. worst part is that i just bought a set of 5 new sahara wheels and tires off another forum member. they have been on my Jeep for 4 days
Hey guys, similar story happened to me today. Had my Sahara for 6 months, the first time I've ever parked in the street at my apartment and my spare gets stolen. I had the lock lug on and everything. Anyone in the Los Angeles/Southern CA are have a Sahara wheel I can buy? I called the dealer and they said $300 which is insane.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLColorado
Hey guys, similar story happened to me today. Had my Sahara for 6 months, the first time I've ever parked in the street at my apartment and my spare gets stolen. I had the lock lug on and everything. Anyone in the Los Angeles/Southern CA are have a Sahara wheel I can buy? I called the dealer and they said $300 which is insane.

Thanks
Search on Craigslist.... They always have tons of takeoffs on there.....
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Curious if craigslist is where these theives are going. constanly see ONE tire and wheel for sale on there.

Sorry about your loss. $300 for stock wheel is insane. Time for some Pro-Comp alloys.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Invest in some wheel locks also...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

We were in Hawaii in October. We always rent a jeep while there. One day we headed to a secluded spot to surf. Our Jeep was the only vehicle there. Wife notices a truck pull up next to the Jeep. I walk up to see what's up and see 9 new Jeep spares in the back of the old rusted truck. He pulled out as I walked up to our Jeep. That dude had been busy. Most of the stolen stuff either ends up on CL or sold to buddies needing new tires.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
Invest in some wheel locks also...
Have them. Used to work at a tire shop and they're not too bad to take off if you're determined.

I am just going to watch Craigslist and see if I can buy my wheel back from the guy who stole it at some point

Quick Reply: stolen spare tire and rim