Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

stolen jeeps

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks I don't have an alarm or anything in my JK I just use a steering wheel lock bar. What else can I do to physically make it impossible very annoying or very difficult for them? It's a manual transmission bare bones bare bones soft top.

I know its one of the most security wise vulnerable vehicles out there but what can I do to make it a huge PITA and time consuming to steal it? My neighbors daughters friends are always eyeing my Jeep as well as my other neighbors Tacoma and one time I saw them looking inside of it.

This might sound bad but whenever I go somewhere I usually park next to a 4 door cause i know the 4 doors get stolen more likely

Last edited by matt852; 08-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

My work van with thousands of dollars of specialty tools was stolen out of my drive way and my topless jk was next to it. When the cop took the report she pontes at my jeep and said watch that, the 4 doors have been a hot item, we had 4 stolen in the last week. We ultimately talked more about my jeep than the van but needless to say I park in the garage now
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

typically from what ive been told by police and insurance company friends is that the highest number of vehicles are stolen for chop-shop value...

a complete vehicle theft is typically for a Joyride and will usually be found stripped and burned along a road at some point...

vehicles dont get chop shop value until there are enough of them out there where a black market for repair parts develops...

JK's being into their 4th almost 5th model year are getting to that point with number of units sold....

JK's are very easy to steal for chop shops... simply unzip the back window, climb in, knock the transfer case to neutral and tow it away... very quick, very quiet and can be done without even setting off the factory alarm...

even easier if its a 6 speed.. just shift to neutral and gone...

alarms are neat in concept.. but in reality the only one who care about your car alarm is you...

ask yourself this? how often do you hear car alarms bleeping and honking away never even to look in that direction...

GPS trackers are a good option but cost money with re-occuring costs..

for those with stock JK's make sure insurance coverage will cover you well..

the bad thing is for those with modded jeeps esp people that have done the mods themselves.. yes insurance can replace the jeep and the parts.. but not the hours and hours of labor put into it..

ive been there with 2 hotrods i built over the years stolen.... years of work, creativity, sweat and banged knuckles and all you get is a check from the ins co...

-Christopher
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

any body else heard anything?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

so we know it's easy to unzip... and climb in and throw it in neutral. This could help thieves rethink how long it will take (not saying a buck knife won't work)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WranglerJoe
so we know it's easy to unzip... and climb in and throw it in neutral. This could help thieves rethink how long it will take (not saying a buck knife won't work)

neat idea.. again a deterrent so the thief just finds another one.. what are those "soft cages" used for?

I see them occasionally on jeeps and always wondered the purpose
-Christopher
Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
neat idea.. again a deterrent so the thief just finds another one.. what are those "soft cages" used for?

I see them occasionally on jeeps and always wondered the purpose
-Christopher
to keep cargo (kids, dogs, bound and gagged annoying neighbors, etc...) from flying out.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks to that stupid key, they are hard to steal.

this is why insurance is very cheap on them. yay!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
simply unzip the back window, climb in, knock the transfer case to neutral and tow it away... very quick, very quiet and can be done without even setting off the factory alarm...
Well for whatever it's worth, you can at least have the factory alarm sound by installing one of these.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...k-alarm-system
Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 AM
JK Freak

any body else knows about any jk jeeps getting stolen?

Quick Reply: stolen jeeps