Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stock 17" wheel and tire thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
echo,

Rubicon tires??? no the link the user posted that took you to another thread that had some micky thompsons that are exactly what I am looking for.

Your statement inspired me I have the drive to go get the lift and tires , but I will be squeezing the money just to cover tires before Christmas, a lift has to wait a little while longer. Its either only trick jeep and have no money to do anything else but look at it, or do little pieces here and there and live a active fun life and save for more mods.

Any suggestions for actual tires or pics of an actual nice fat aggressive tire that will fit my stock 17's with no lift and wont rub?????

Red
I had the same tires on my JK and they were 32"'s, I believe you could put 33x12.50x17's on there without a lift but it would be a tight fit. I put in a 2" Budget Boost with shocks and put on 33x12.50x17 Procomp A/T's on the stock rims, I actually like the stock Moab rims.....Good luck too you.....
Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eng23, same tires 32's you mean the ones from the other thread that were micky thompsons??? post some pics of your tires on stock rims would ya? How much were they?? Did you sell the 32's to get the 33's?

Hey would back spacers make my tires stick out more and make them look a little wider till I wear out these brand new goodyears a little?

Maybe I should just save a little longer and get a 2"bb lift and get tires then? those goodyears are brand new but I don't want to wait forever, wonder what the trade in would be if any to a tire shop??

Please someone post some pics of some nice fat off road tires on stock rims, I want them to stick out a little.

Red
Old 08-28-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie

can you post a close up and did you fit those on with out a lift
Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 2" BB, and Copper Discoverer STT's @ 33x12.5-R17's on my stock Sahara wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers.

More pics in my gallery if you are interested.

Contrary to what some have said, the noise increase is quite negligible, & They handle 70-80mph on the freeway just fine. I dont have the rocks around here that they do out west, but they handle what i have hit with ease, no complaints on soft earth either. I dont play in mud, you'd have to ask someone else about that.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

2k2 and Happy I like both of your tires alot, and Happy your photo spread was exactly what I was looking for!!

I guess you both think the 2" bb is mandatory for the 33's to fit?

I will just have to wait and save up money for both at one time.

Ok lets talk plans now, should I get the 2"bb from the dealer they are talking 280.00 installed?

What kind of price did you pay for your sets of tires 2k2 and Happy, I want to buy all 5 did you? I guess I will buy whichever is the cheaper set because I like both the same.

Should I buy the tires and have the dealer put them on?

Where did you buy the wheel spacers and how much to install them or should I have the dealer do it when/if they put on my tires? Do I really need them?

Lastly any sponsors want to help me out with suggestions on where I could go to get the things I want from their locations or poor mans discount or anything, I am in st. louis but planning a trip to evansville indiana in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the info and advice guys!!!!!

Red
Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Eternal ***erator

My stock tires where 32x10. they fit fine, major difference is the width with the new ones, but between the lift and the spacers, i dont have any rubbing issues. I just think a 2" lift and 33's is a good combo, if i had the cash i would be on 3" and 35's though (will eventually)

i bought my BB from Northridge4x4 and installed it myself.

the tires i bought from a local shop (i bought all 5) for i think about $230 a piece? i would have to check my reeipt, i forget.

spacers adjust the offset of the factory wheels to allow wider rubber without the rubbing suspension compnents, i think they are a necessity for 12.5's

i bought mine used from a forum member, but most offroad shops have them, i think about $200 for all 4. Paying someone to put them on imho is a wast of money, if you can change a tire, you can install spacers.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-28-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Happy, I can change a tire so I guess I will try to install the spacers myself, But there is no way I would even think about trying to install a lift, I am not mechanically inclined at all. How much was the bb from north ridge?

Sponsors???
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

These are approximate prices, i didnt go and check current. I dont have my receipts handy so going from memory and rounding off a bit. (so probably a few bucks high)

This is what I did, all at once, to get a good start:

$350 - Re 2" spacer Lift Kit.
$150 - Monotube shocks (ordered with lift).
$200 - Spidertrax Spacers.
$200 - TeraFlex Adj. Front Trackbar.
$200 - TeraFlex Adj. Rear Trackbar.
$150 - JKS Quicker Disconnects.
$1250

I ran it that way for...around 8 months to a year? IIRC. While i was saving up for tires.

I think my bill for the 5 tires was around $1100, but I am foggy on that, we bought several things around that time so i may be confused on the exact numbers, but $1100-$1300 for all 5 is probably pretty close.

So:

$1250
$1100
$2350 Ballpark.

I like it, but in retrospect, i should have just saved a few more bucks and bought a more complete kit.

I did intentionally set myself up for a larger lift though: my shocks which are good to 3" of lift, the adjustable trackbars, and my discos are adjustable too. So to go bigger, i just ($$) need: control arms, springs, and shafts.

If I had saved and waited; It would have been more lift, and bigger tires, for a comparable price, more yes, but comparible...

...but then, the buildup really is 90% of the fun to me. Looking through the web pages/catalogs, reading here, asking questions, learning about the various options, placing the order...

...waiting at the front window like a kid at a candy store for the Brown Truck to show up...
...opening up all the new toys and playing in the garage with my tools...

all that stuff really makes me happy, so every dime was worth it to me. It would have been finacially more prudent to save up, but screw it, it's a Jeep, it's mine, and I love it.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-29-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
I do some off roading, but more dd

I just want tires that are wider and more aggressive looking (like the ruby tires but they are tooo skinny)

so what are the suggestions for a good tire choice for me?
I have Rubi take offs on my X and I don't think they are skinny at all. If this is your DD, remember that the more aggressive the tread, the more road noise you will have. The Rubi tires are WAY louder than the stock tires. I mean, WAY WAY louder. If you can find someone with the aggressive tread on their Jeep, have them take you for a ride and listen to the noise before you make your decision. If you only are after looks, I wouldn't do it, the noise is considerable. If you can't find someone, go to the dealer and take a Rubi for a test drive.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

I guess "road noise" is a subjective term.

I went from Goodyear SRA street tires, to my STT's and yes, they are louder, but IMO not that much. I have the top down about 50% of the time, and i dont notice them at all, up or down.

But your right, a test drive to see what you think personally might be a good idea, if you think it could be something that was unbearable.

Quick Reply: Stock 17" wheel and tire thread