Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stock 17" wheel and tire thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock 17" wheel and tire thread

Ok the time has come for me to figure my next tire selection,

Those of you who have chosen to keep your stock 17 inch wheels

1. What tires have you gone with to give you more off road capabilities? (POST PICS PLEASE!!!!!)

2. What is back spacing and what are the costs? (POST PICS PLEASE of what a back spacing looks like)

3. What is the biggest tire you can do on stock 17's without a lift? (POST PICS PLEASE!!!)

4. Is there a really great tire selection that would be worth getting a budget boost or a smaller lift? (POST PICS PLEASE)

5. Anyone get tires they didn't think looked big enough after getting them and now wish they would have gotten different? (and you guessed it post pics please)

You get the drift of this thread, please post pics.

I have the 255 owls now

here is a pic of them on 17"s
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Isn't anyone running bigger tires on stock 17s
Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came with the Goodyears.
They sucked on the slightest hint of moisture on the road.

I bought the exact tires that came on Rubicons.
They've been great so far, but I'll see how they handle ice and light snow this winter.

The Rubicon tire (BFG MT KM, 255/75-17) is not a "typical" size. It is narrower than most at that height, which, IMHO, is a good thing for overall usability.

I've seen many on this forum do 33" without a problem, 34" maybe. 35" would definitely be too much without a lift or spacers, unless the Jeep was relegated to poser duty and never flexed offroad.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah I hear ya about the rubicon tires but I wanted something more agressive, any one have some feedback or some pics of some nice tires on the stock 17's?

Red

Help please
Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

show me your bigger tires on stock 17s
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I think for most it would be difficult to answer your question without knowing what you're going to be doing. If this is your first Jeep, I would put on the BFG MT's first and see if you like the change. They are more than aggresive enough if you're doing normal wheeling and on-road driving. If you're vehicle is a daily driver I wouldn't go more aggressive than that due to loss of mpg's and ride quality.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Most of your questions can be answered here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

The tire size you choose depends on whether or not you do a lift.

I've been looking into making a move on my tires also, keeping the stock wheels. I was planning to do a 2.5 BB and get spacers and go with size 33x12.50X17. Not sure what brand yet...

easttnruby is running this combination, with powdercoated black stock rims with 3" lift. You can see pics of his rig on this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/south-49/windrock-ohv-area-aug-21-a-51776/
Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

I do some off roading, but more dd I have only had it a couple months and did alot at smorr in southern mo the second week I owned it. It did fine on the trail but,

I just want tires that are wider and more aggressive looking (like the ruby tires but they are tooo skinny), these stock tires do slide really easy on the slightest moisture so I am worried when the snow and ice comes.

Help please

JKrocker, I love those micky thompson tires - from the link - but The second pic is different wheels, I love the tires on the first shots with stock wheels, what are the spefics on those and does he have a lift in the first shots with stock rims, I want new tires but don't have money for a lift yet.

Those are the exact look I am looking for so what are the suggestions for a good tire choice for me?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK

Those are the exact look I am looking for so what are the suggestions for a good tire choice for me?
Rubicon Tires.

But seriously, budget boost your JK and put any 33inch tire you want under there. A little more rubber around the 17inch rims would help the look a lot I think. Realize that there will be a very noticeable increase in road noise, a slight change in handling, a remarkable increase in off road prowess/cred, and a 23.4% increase in awesomeness... and that's with the Rubicon M/Ts.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

echo,

Rubicon tires??? no the link the user posted that took you to another thread that had some micky thompsons that are exactly what I am looking for.

Your statement inspired me I have the drive to go get the lift and tires , but I will be squeezing the money just to cover tires before Christmas, a lift has to wait a little while longer. Its either only trick jeep and have no money to do anything else but look at it, or do little pieces here and there and live a active fun life and save for more mods.

Any suggestions for actual tires or pics of an actual nice fat aggressive tire that will fit my stock 17's with no lift and wont rub?????

Red

Quick Reply: Stock 17" wheel and tire thread