Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stinger and on road safety

Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha ok coming from a guy who works on an ambulance and deals with this for a living, it really is a "what if" situation. I wouldn't be worried about liability, personally. I think someone would have to prove intent.
On a side note, if you T-boned someone and hit them just right....lol well, I'd just really be interested to see that
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were asked to design a bumper that would be a passenger decapitation device it would look pretty close to a stinger. Years back I was behind a pickup that t-boned a sedan, and I can tell you that immediately on impact the passenger's head knocks out and shatters their own window. Not sure if the girl lived or died. Her mom got out and came around to her side of the car screaming and wailing in sorrow... Add an inverted-V shaped hunk of metal and it would be certain death.

Its not a what if, it's a hope never.

I think a modular stinger would be good - if you need one. I don't read a lot of threads where Wranglers tip forward and encouraged a stinger purchase.

This conversation makes me think of those driving with a hi-lift mounted right on the hood in front of the windshield. In a wreck it's going to be either in your face or someone else's. Hopefully those that have them don't mount them until they head out to the trail. I think stingers would be best if used in the same manner - only when heading out to wheel.

Last edited by JamesWyatt; 09-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt
If I were asked to design a bumper that would be a passenger decapitation device it would look pretty close to a stinger. Years back I was behind a pickup that t-boned a sedan, and I can tell you that immediately on impact the passenger's head knocks out and shatters their own window. Not sure if the girl lived or died. Her mom got out and came around to her side of the car screaming and wailing in sorrow... Add an inverted-V shaped hunk of metal and it would be certain death.

Its not a what if, it's a hope never.

I think a modular stinger would be good - if you need one. I don't read a lot of threads where Wranglers tip forward and encouraged a stinger purchase.

This conversation makes me think of those driving with a hi-lift mounted right on the hood in front of the windshield. In a wreck it's going to be either in your face or someone else's. Hopefully those that have them don't mount them until they head out to the trail. I think stingers would be best if used in the same manner - only when heading out to wheel.
true wisdom i would never mount a hunk of steel to my hood. same as i would never mount a winch without a remote master disconnect , rear end someone and you have a hi amp dead short with posssibly gasoline involved . not to good
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Even a bull bar can be lethal. I was almost killed by a Ram 1500 running a brush guard that hit my drivers side door at 45 mph. The B pillar snapped in half and pierced the driver's seat, missing my torso by a few inches. The door was torn off the hinges, the steep bumper was inside my window (almost hit my head), ect. I'm VERY lucky to be alive, let alone without long term injury. There is no question that a singer on that Ram would have taken my head clean off. That being said, a few years later I'm running a rugged ridge stinger on my JK. Even a stingerless steel bumper on a lifted Jeep could be lethal. Heck, you could extrapolate and say a lifted Jeep on larger tires is more lethal over stock (You could roll over small cars). Most Jeep mods are going to make it more dangerous for other cars on the road, including the basic ones deemed necessary for anything more than trail riding. It's not a question of "are stingers moral", but rather what degree of additional risk are you willing to take on?

For what it's worth, the Ram driver was speeding at 45 mph in a 20 mph zone, and was responsible for the accident. I make sure to watch for drivers pull out in front of me and never grossly speed like that Ram did. Since adding the stinger, I'v yet to have someone pull out in front of me, though it happened frequently before. Other people take notice and are a bit less risk taking when they see it.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Grinder
BTW, stingers just prevent forward flips right? Are there other offroad uses?
negative. it is to prevent your radiator (and engine) from getting smashed in a rollover, and hopefully allowing you to get off the trail on your own power.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by McPuck86
negative. it is to prevent your radiator (and engine) from getting smashed in a rollover, and hopefully allowing you to get off the trail on your own power.
Mine has been useful when going into narrow, steep pits. I was on a narrow trail once with a very deep, narrow trench, and lost traction since it was muddy. I slid in bumper first and the stinger hit the ground. I hit the gas and the stinger angle helped lift my front end up the bank and go through. It's good for more than just roll protection.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dronac
I hit the gas and the stinger angle helped lift my front end up the bank and go through. It's good for more than just roll protection.
cool story!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Its DOT approved for highway driving, so whats to worry.

Quick Reply: Stinger and on road safety