Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stinger and on road safety

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
And does that count as involuntary manslaughter because you knowingly put the stinger on your vehicle with a full knowledge of it being an off road only tool? I'm not a lawyer obviously but am interested in this thread because its mainly why I never installed one.
That's a chance you take. It's like towing over the manufacturer's limit of your vehicle. After the accident, that point may or may not come up in court.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The modular bumper may be a good idea. I really am not concerned with the legal/financial problems. But, if my choice of bumper killed someone.... thats a problem.
I pulled up next to a few sedans in the parking lot, and that stinger would go right into the drivers head....
I dont believe in the " drive safe and it wont happen" idea. If i T-Bone someone, it was out of my control.
i had the stinger on from saturday until monday and took it off.
It looked GREAT, but i did not feel good about having it.
Now, when i get to the point of tralering the jeep, then Stinger it is.
I have an option of straight trading for a MOPAR rock crawler bumper... but it looks kind of stock ( but made of metal )
I may just wait for my stock bumper to bite the dust ( or larger tree/rock )
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great subject and in another thread months ago i brought up this very scenario, what could be a very survivable accident could become something else entirely with a stinger and as much as i love the look i just cannot pull the trigger for this very reason . every lifted jeep ive seen with one aligns nearly perfectly at heAd level . i think also that trial lawyers would certainly key in on that fact
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zedteamk2
The modular bumper may be a good idea. I really am not concerned with the legal/financial problems. But, if my choice of bumper killed someone.... thats a problem.
I pulled up next to a few sedans in the parking lot, and that stinger would go right into the drivers head....
I dont believe in the " drive safe and it wont happen" idea. If i T-Bone someone, it was out of my control.
i had the stinger on from saturday until monday and took it off.
It looked GREAT, but i did not feel good about having it.
Now, when i get to the point of tralering the jeep, then Stinger it is.
I have an option of straight trading for a MOPAR rock crawler bumper... but it looks kind of stock ( but made of metal )
I may just wait for my stock bumper to bite the dust ( or larger tree/rock )
I am really glad this subject is brought up and there are responsible jeepers out there worried about the subject. I just ordered a front bumper and am sticking to just the grill guard.

I understand the need for extreme offroaders needing one but doing it for looks and increasing the damage potential inflicted is a serious matter.

BTW, stingers just prevent forward flips right? Are there other offroad uses?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I've never seen an offroad bumper designed to absorb an impact like the stock bumper I would worry more about the damage you are going to do if you hit the vehicle anywhere. That said, I would rather be hit by a stinger than a fully loaded cement truck. Can you sue the driver of any large vehicle for causing extra damage? Should semis be outlawed because they aren't as forgiving as a sedan?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I don't what to say about this thread , you guys are so worry about your stinger in a crash if that is the case then don't lift your jeep or put any steel bumper on it

Really think about it a 2.5 lifted jeep with a steel bumper is at head height in most cars , so even a stubby front bumper will go trough a window and still hit a person a full width will still do the same

When you hit a car from the side the persons head is going to go to side and come back towards the bumper

So basically it's just a what if thing
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by keithvegas
Since I've never seen an offroad bumper designed to absorb an impact like the stock bumper I would worry more about the damage you are going to do if you hit the vehicle anywhere. That said, I would rather be hit by a stinger than a fully loaded cement truck. Can you sue the driver of any large vehicle for causing extra damage? Should semis be outlawed because they aren't as forgiving as a sedan?
Lots of semi drivers get sued for carelessly wielding their weight around.
Semi trucks are indeed outlawed under quite a few circumstances, specifically because they are not as forgiving as a sedan.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

There is a difference when it comes to negligence or intent. If they can prove you put a reinforced bumper on specifically to do damage then you can be sued. If you run illegal equipment you can be sued. NV law makes no mention of bumpers and until a law is passed you can run what you want.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a very interesting thread since I find myself with the same dilema. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the new LOD armor-lite front bumpers but I can't decide between a stinger and a bull bar...
Are there any lawyers in this forum that can shed clear light on this topic?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

While the legal side is definately important, i was more concerned with the moral side of driving around with a stinger.
I'm going to go with one of the modular bumpers and just put the stinger on at the trail.

Quick Reply: Stinger and on road safety