Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Still no Rack

Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
Yea how did this turn out?
well.....he did say he was leaving on vacation on the 8th.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok ... few things....

I got the rack late afternoon Thursday (while at work). Took friday off to do the install. It took about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Directions were straightforward and easy to follow. I did the entire installation alone with the exception of lifting the rack on top of the jeep (best to to have help - the rack is heavy). Left for he Outer Banks a few hours later.

Quality: Gobi is no joke. The rack is well made. Really well made. Craftmanship is excellent. The included hardware is top of the line. No drilling. The rack is strong and looks great.

One issue: When I opened the box I was surprised to see the tab for the light bar and one of the attached supports were bent. As the rack is well made, the force that must have been applied to the part during shipping must have been tremendous. I was pissed because I needed to get the rack on the JK, pack and hit the road. I was able to straighten the bracket enough with a rubber mallet but the aux light tab is trashed.

Silver lining: I called Sandra @ Gobi and Dave a Alpha Expedition and explained the problem. Both were great. I will have a new light bar at my door when I return from vacation. I received EXCELLENT customer service from both of them. Exactly what you expect but don't receive from many vendors. I just want to be clear, with Gobi and Dave @ Alpha Expedition you get great service!

Gobi: The rack was expensive but in this case you get what you pay for. Powder coating was excellent. Rack looks great, was easy to install (no drilling) and is super strong. Customer service was top notch. I would never hesitate to order another Gobi product.

Alpha Expedition: Dave is a solid guy. He is responsive and stands behind the products he sells. He was concerned about my issue and got involved immediately. i will order from him again.

Will try to post a few pics of the rack and JK on the beach.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad to hear everything is working out for you with your new rack.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

This rack is the best purchase I've ever made for the Jeep.

I LOVE it.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it turned out well. Dave was very helpful in my case too.

I'm hoping my quick release arrives today or tomorrow - looking for a way to speed up the emergency rain shower top up process. With the summer we've had in New England, there's been a lot of those this year.

The acrylic for my home brew wind deflector should be ready today too. That will e a nice touch and allow me to hear the radio again.

I have had some rust spots appear that I'm a little worried about - one on a brace weld and a few where the steel grid is welded to the frame. Covered with black Rustoleum yesterday as a preventative measure.

Anybody else see similar?

Scott
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Please post some pics. Looking at racks. I like this one I think, need more pics.

Wind noise? How bad?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's another rack

MBRP JK rack, supports in excess of 500lbs

JIMBO
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

My rack makes a lot of noise. I don't think it would be half as bad if I had the hard top on.

Re: the NBRP rack above. I'm not a fan of drilling into my vehicle. Also, I can't see how that rack can be so strong with many of the mounts drilled into the flimsy hard top. Is there an additional support somewhere else?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

MBRP has published a picture of 6 guys standing on top of their JK, with this rack

Originally Posted by pcarpenter
My rack makes a lot of noise. I don't think it would be half as bad if I had the hard top on.

Re: the NBRP rack above. I'm not a fan of drilling into my vehicle. Also, I can't see how that rack can be so strong with many of the mounts drilled into the flimsy hard top. Is there an additional support somewhere else?

There are 4 internal brackets that bolt to the JK tub, using the same TORX bolts that hold the top in place, there's not much strain put on the actual top

Checkitout at mbrpinc.com

JIMBO
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JIMBOX
MBRP has published a picture of 6 guys standing on top of their JK, with this rack

There are 4 internal brackets that bolt to the JK tub, using the same TORX bolts that hold the top in place, there's not much strain put on the actual top

Checkitout at mbrpinc.com

JIMBO
Of course you have to have a hardtop, and can't use the rack with the top off - two major negatives.

I'm pretty confident I could put six guys on top of the Gobi for a picture - of course that doesn't really prove anything as stationary load is a lot different than load under way. There's no way I'd want more than 300-400 lbs. up there, especially on the trail or on a highway - changes the center of gravity characteristics of the vehicle way too much.

Quick Reply: Still no Rack