Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sport vs Rubicon

Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDH475
Price of building a truly more capable jeep than a rubicon = 3000- 4000$ rear dana 60 rock jock , 6000-7000$ front dana 60 rock jock, 2300$ for atlas 2 speed transfer case 3200$ atlas 4 speed transfer case. This gives stronger parts all around good ground clearence to diffs, compatability with stock electronics. Thats pretty hard to swing over the price of a stock Rubicon.
Up here its $20gs for a base model sport $40gs for a Rubicon.

With $20gs I can get tons, 40s, custom built long arm kit & all the accessories I want lol It'd be easy to kill the Rubicon. If you can do work or plan things out it's better to get a sport if you want to build a JK.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2012 JKU Sport instead of a Rubicon, and have regretted it ever since. At the time I had the cash for a Rubi but wanted to build up instead. Now if I'm lucky at some point in the next couple years I might have the cash for lift wheels and tires, but won't be able to afford to re-gear, let alone upgrade a transfercase or lockers or sway bar disco's. So in the long run I'm out a lot of upgrade I could have already had.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice
Up here its $20gs for a base model sport $40gs for a Rubicon.

With $20gs I can get tons, 40s, custom built long arm kit & all the accessories I want lol It'd be easy to kill the Rubicon. If you can do work or plan things out it's better to get a sport if you want to build a JK.
2dr. sport starts at 22k--- 2dr Rubicon starts at 30k / 4dr. sport starts at 25k --- 4dr. Rubicon starts at 34k. / 8k-9k difference. that price is from the Jeep web site so you can talk them down from there. If you dont have to have power windows power, door locks, navagation, and everything elese they want to talk you into you can save alot, plus the Factory warranty on the Rubicons is a plus. When I bought my Rubicon I did not just buy what they had I made them find me one with Rubicon pkg. air conditioning, full doors, no other bells and whistles, I searched enough dealers online that Chry. eventually contacted me and asked what I would be willing to pay I said 25k. + tax no, destination fees, prep fees, blah blah blah, they said be at Monroe Dodge Jeep on friday it will be there. there is a lot to be saved if you have the patience to do the work. Bottom line Rubicon is NOT 20k. more than the sport PLEASE dont misrepresent and slam the Rubicon just because you dont have one!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No one here is slamming Rubicons here. So don't get your panties in a bunch. All I'm saying is at the end of the day its the same freaking Frame and body. I'm not going to spend all that money on parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon just to take it off and put better parts on. Sorry I'm not going to spend 10K or even 5K for a dam Rubicon Sticker on the side of my hood.

*Edit* I also have A/C and other bells and whistles

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 03-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
No one here is slamming Rubicons here. So don't get your panties in a bunch. All I'm saying is at the end of the day its the same freaking Frame and body. I'm not going to spend all that money on parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon just to take it off and put better parts on. Sorry I'm not going to spend 10K or even 5K from a dam Rubicon Sticker on the side of my hood.
It's far more then a sticker. If ur the type of person who is gonna buy your jeep and sink 20k+ worth of mods into it, then fine, a sport is what works for you. If your going to buy the jeep and put 5-10k into it... I would stick with a rubi. The bigger axles, lockers and 4/1 trans case and km tires r worth the extra 8k over a sport. Are the tires great? No. But you can easily sell them for 1k to recoup costs. Try selling the sports tires.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one here is slamming Rubicons here. So don't get your panties in a bunch. All I'm saying is at the end of the day its the same freaking Frame and body. I'm not going to spend all that money on parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon just to take it off and put better parts on. Sorry I'm not going to spend 10K or even 5K for a dam Rubicon Sticker on the side of my hood.

*Edit* I also have A/C and other bells and whistles
What Rubicon parts do you have to take off, Ok alot of people are sleeve and gusseting the front axel, I have been wheeling mine on some pretty tough trails nothing bent or broken. I am just saying to build one truly beter & stronger youre going to spend an easy 12 to 15k doing the work youreself and still dont have the Rubicon stickers. Pretty tough to spend that kind of loot while making payments.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

I'm from costal North carolina so no rocks to climb here so the 4 to 1 T case is useless to me so I prefer the 2.72 to 1 its a more usable setup for my needs. and getting Dana 60's does not cost 10 or even 20K so I don't know where your getting these numbers from.

At the end of the day there are people that like to `Build` and there are people that Just want to `Buy` and not make working on their Jeep a hobby and I'm cool with that.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDH475
2dr. sport starts at 22k--- 2dr Rubicon starts at 30k / 4dr. sport starts at 25k --- 4dr. Rubicon starts at 34k. / 8k-9k difference. that price is from the Jeep web site so you can talk them down from there. If you dont have to have power windows power, door locks, navagation, and everything elese they want to talk you into you can save alot, plus the Factory warranty on the Rubicons is a plus. When I bought my Rubicon I did not just buy what they had I made them find me one with Rubicon pkg. air conditioning, full doors, no other bells and whistles, I searched enough dealers online that Chry. eventually contacted me and asked what I would be willing to pay I said 25k. + tax no, destination fees, prep fees, blah blah blah, they said be at Monroe Dodge Jeep on friday it will be there. there is a lot to be saved if you have the patience to do the work. Bottom line Rubicon is NOT 20k. more than the sport PLEASE dont misrepresent and slam the Rubicon just because you dont have one!!!
I'm not slamming the Rubicon, so don't sweat it. UP HERE...if you read my post, our prices in Canada have NOTHING to do with the prices on the Jeep website. I'm not misrepresenting anything as right now a base model JK is $20gs at the local dealer. A Rubi is $35+gs. That's a FACT so get off your high Rubi horse and deal with it

For people who build vehicles, a base is all you need. For people who can't either afford to build, do it themselves or don't have time then buy the Rubi. Just don't get an inflated ego because you have a Rubi sticker. I've passed enough Rubi's on the trail and most people realize it's the driver not the vehicle.

A re-gear with lockers or take off axles for a Rubi are $2000-3500 installed.
T-case $600-1000 on CL or get an aftermarket one for $3500+ or so which is way better than the stock Rubi
Electric sway bar disconnect - garbage and fails so that's a big minus as most people replace it with anti-rock or manual down the road.

So there's $2500-5000 in extras to get a sport into the same category as a Rubi which UP HERE costs $15-20gs more. What's the obviously better financial option....hmmm OH SHIT!! I forgot the STICKERS and EGO!!! That's the difference which makes it a better Jeep.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm from costal North carolina so no rocks to climb here so the 4 to 1 T case is useless to me so I prefer the 2.72 to 1 its a more usable setup for my needs. and getting Dana 60's does not cost 10 or even 20K so I don't know where your getting these numbers from.

At the end of the day there are people that like to `Build` and there are people that Just want to `Buy` and not make working on their Jeep a hobby and I'm cool with that.
That price is right from Currie for rock jock 60's completly loaded with differentials and lockers ready to install. I choose that axel for comparison because it has good ground clearence and is compatible with jk's anti lock brakes and traction control, I guess you could use junkyard axels.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Dana 60 2K plus the guts and lockers so we will say 4K

Currie Enterprises Jeep JK RockJock III 40 Spline Dana 60 Rearend

Much better than OEM and I'm still under the price of a rubi

Quick Reply: Sport vs Rubicon