Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Spare Tire on tailgate question

Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire on tailgate question

So, I'm getting ready to upgrade from 33s to 35s. How long can I have my 35 on the tailgate before it starts to weaken the hindges or damages the tailgate?

Besides gettting a new rear bumper that supports the spare tire, what other solutions are out there? What has everyone else done?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OR FAB tire carrier. Does not mount to rear bumper.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

About the best you can expect in answer to how long is folk's reciting their personal experience. Some have problems in a few months; others run years. I expect a lot depends on how you use your Jeep. Rough trails are undoubtedly harder on the hinges than city roads.

Here's another option to beef up the tailgate ...

http://www.teraflex.biz/news/jk-tire-carrier-available/
Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyones mileage varies. I had one Jeep that after a couple months with a 33" on it the hinges got some bad you had to lift the tailgate to close it or else it would just bounce back and hit you. Then had one with a 35 on it and it did great until I put my tire carrier on.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 33s and the heavy trail grapplers...destroyed my stock hinges after a year

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting...I've had a 33" on the bad for almost 2 years now with no issues at all.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
About the best you can expect in answer to how long is folk's reciting their personal experience. Some have problems in a few months; others run years. I expect a lot depends on how you use your Jeep. Rough trails are undoubtedly harder on the hinges than city roads. Here's another option to beef up the tailgate ... http://www.teraflex.biz/news/jk-tire-carrier-available/
Have 35's on mine and started to notice stress after a couple months. Ordered the Teraflex HD carrier and will install over Thanksgiving.
I was going to go with a bumper mount, but the cost of that was more then I wanted to pay currently.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I went with bigger tires, I just factored in having to remove the spare from the tailgate and hang it using some other means. I went with the overpriced AEV option, but having said that, it's done very well.

My worry was:

A) General weakening of tailgate hinges or deforming the tailgate panel.

B) Slamming or overextension of the tailgate (the factory 'rope' should hold it--hopefully) but if my nieces ever went camping with me, etc, having a heavy/unsupported tailgate with the ability to knock over a 5 year old or completely crush fingers = not good.

C) Stock CHMSL had to go anyhow---tire started getting too tall.

D) I never measured, but I figured the tire needed to be farther away from the bumper to handle the increased tire width. Especially if I decide to go with a larger/wider tire.

Can you hang a heavy tire on the stock tailgate mount? Yeah. Was I comfortable doing it? No.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
When I went with bigger tires, I just factored in having to remove the spare from the tailgate and hang it using some other means. I went with the overpriced AEV option, but having said that, it's done very well. My worry was: A) General weakening of tailgate hinges or deforming the tailgate panel. B) Slamming or overextension of the tailgate (the factory 'rope' should hold it--hopefully) but if my nieces ever went camping with me, etc, having a heavy/unsupported tailgate with the ability to knock over a 5 year old or completely crush fingers = not good. C) Stock CHMSL had to go anyhow---tire started getting too tall. D) I never measured, but I figured the tire needed to be farther away from the bumper to handle the increased tire width. Especially if I decide to go with a larger/wider tire. Can you hang a heavy tire on the stock tailgate mount? Yeah. Was I comfortable doing it? No.
Is the AEV option a full bumper with tire carrier or is it a tire carrier like the orfab or teraflex?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tippedover
Is the AEV option a full bumper with tire carrier or is it a tire carrier like the orfab or teraflex?
The bumper and tire carrier are two separate parts, but integrate when installed together. You can mount the bumper alone, or the tire carrier (with stock JK bumper) alone, and they also work together beautifully. The part that I liked is that the tire carrier and tailgate door swing together in a controlled motion, open and closed. A lot of other bumpers require the carrier to be unlatched and swung out of the way before the tailgate can be opened.

It retains the factory receiver hitch too (which I already had).

Here, read for yourself:

JK Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier FAQ

Last edited by jk_sea; 11-18-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire on tailgate question