Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Space lost with dual top?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Space lost with dual top?

About to pull the trigger on a 2012 crush jku and am wondering about the dual top. Salesman warned that you loose a lot of useful cargo space. I know with my 03 tj soft top when it's down my dog struggles to jump in and she's a pain to pick up (45 lb husky) - and living in Colorado I imagine having the hardtop on most of fall/winter/spring.

Any experience that says you don't compromise too much space with dual top?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Yes you do lose space and it can be annoying to put stuff over and under the soft top. But then you could just take the hard top off and remove the soft top. And during the summer you can put it back on and leave the hard top at home. Either way removing it is easy. But the hard top has to come off to remove.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bholder817
Yes you do lose space and it can be annoying to put stuff over and under the soft top. But then you could just take the hard top off and remove the soft top. And during the summer you can put it back on and leave the hard top at home. Either way removing it is easy. But the hard top has to come off to remove.
Generally most people run one or the other, not really the softtop under the hardtop, unnecessary wear and tear. I dont think you lose too much space between the two. I've got a 2dr with both and the softtop is so worth it in the summer, even if it sits in my basement 3/4 of the year.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Generally most people run one or the other, not really the softtop under the hardtop, unnecessary wear and tear. I dont think you lose too much space between the two. I've got a 2dr with both and the softtop is so worth it in the summer, even if it sits in my basement 3/4 of the year.
X2

The manual warns that the soft top is to be removed if you keep the hard top on. You don't keep both on at the same time as the soft top would rub and experience wear points.

I have both and during the heavy winter months, I put the hard top on, the rest of the year, it's the soft top.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

wait a minute! it came with a manual? Yes i saw that. But i still drove around with both for three months before removing the soft top.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys - I think ...

This thread may have cost me another ~$1500 and make me read a manual - blech. Wonder what else my not-so-informative dealer has in store for me as I start the ordering process. Should be fun.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RodCyn
X2

The manual warns that the soft top is to be removed if you keep the hard top on. You don't keep both on at the same time as the soft top would rub and experience wear points.

I have both and during the heavy winter months, I put the hard top on, the rest of the year, it's the soft top.
Bad winters in L.A. huh?

but yeah, just run one or the other. there's guys in Colorado that use the Soft top year round. I have both and honestly barely use the soft top.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both and love the transformation of the jeep two times each year as I swap the tops. Personality changes. Keeps it exciting.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Yup, just run one at a time. I have a hardtop for winter only. As for the the dog issue mentioned above, I have a 4 door so when the soft top is folded I just drop the rear seat and let her in from the side.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

eh, I shelled out the extra money for the dual top, kinda wish I hadn't because I ended up selling my hard top last week for $1000.. sure the hard top is nice, but I found that it was just collecting dust on my porch. I love the easy transformation of the soft top, but then again I live in Virginia not Colorado. but you definitely lose some cargo space with the hard top over the soft top. I found it to be very annoying. Hard top also weighs a little bit more. I saw a small drop in gas mileage when I had both on..

Quick Reply: Space lost with dual top?