Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sooo, how are you finding the new pentastar?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3.6l is incredible. I have the 6 speed with 4:10 axles and for the first time I feel a JK can hold it's own as a performance rig. BTW, I test drove the 2012 with an auto and was not blown away. Hard to believe there is a big difference between the auto and manual but that was my experience.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

I don't have one yet but I sure do want one bad. The 07 I had just does not even belong in same ballpark. I can't wait to get a 2012. It's all I think about. It might be a tougher decision if I still had my '07 but since I'm jeep less it's a o brainier for me. Just got to convince the other half.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got to say that I really like the power of the new Pentastar, I drive a manual though and tried a auto but I didn't enjoy it...its probably because I am used to shifting and enjoy doing that. I have the 730n nav unit and it works great so far, some features on it that I won't use after the subscription is up on Sirius as far as the live traffic updates which is pretty cool but I live in a smaller city so not much use there. So the previous was a 08 JK Rubicon now I have the 2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited even with the additionally doors now the power increase is great, its so much fun driving! If you get a chance go test drive one, see what its all about, I don't know about where you live but here in CO my dealership handed me the keys and told me to just bring it back when I was done. Got any specifics that you wondering about?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

This is my first jeep so I had no previous experience like many people on this forum. However, I drove the 2011 and then a 2012 both Sahara Unlimited from the same dealer. As soon as I drove off the lot in to 2012 I could tell the difference in the motor and instantly told dealer I want a 2012. The auto transmission with the 5th gear compared to 4 gears on the 2011 makes a difference IMO (I'm old now, don't want stick anymore for y'all saying auto??). Anyway, very impressed after 3K miles with the power. Drove to the Carolina and Tennessee mountains averaging almost 21 mpg including steep highway hills and numerous back country road monster hills that made the wife nervous. Jeep climbed them like a billy goat and descended just as well. I skipped the navigation as I rarely use the garmin I have and wanted to save cash for upgrades instead. My neighbor has the 2012 rubicon in manual and loves it.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engine is a big difference, 3.6L Pentastar is far better. I test drove both 2011 and 2012, and i would not even consider the 2011 twice. Go to a dealership and give them both a drive, you'll figure it out.

Go after-market for the navigation unit. Kenwood/Pioneer are pretty good, Kenwood uses Garmin nav. I have a Sony XNV-770BT (TomTom) based myself, and love it. Lots more options, and even the inexpensive ones will be better than what you get with the factory units. Updates will be less expensive too, I forget the amount I'm paying, but it's less than $50 a year for 4 map updates (one per quarter) and frequent software upgrades to the GPS unit. This HU can be found for $500ish right now (was around $1000 when I purchased it) - and another $50-100 and you can interface with the steering wheel controls (Metra Axxess ASWC).
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by muffinmulisha
Nice color man, thats cool, im tossing around a few colors, not sure though. What size lift and brand are you running? So the 2012 is def worth it eh?
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, lost track of this thread. The 2012 is totally worth it in my opnion.

Below is my list of modifications as requested, not including stock Rubicon features:

---Engine/Driveline---
-River Raider Snorkel
-Coast 1310 Front Driveshaft
-Coast 1310 Rear Driveshaft
-Teraflex Exhaust Spacer Kit
-AEV ProCal

---Suspension/Tires---
-Clayton 3.5" Short Arm Lift
-Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable Shocks
-Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod
-JKS Front Swaybar Quick Disconnects(backup to the electric)
-JKS Rear Adjustable Tracbar
-35"x12.50" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2s
-17" Cragar Soft 8 Wheels
-Daystar Larger Spare Tire Bumpstops

---Armor/Protection---
-LOD Full Width Front Bumper
-LOD JK Fullwidth Signature Series Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
-Skidrow Engine/Oil Pan/Transmission Skidplate
-Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit
-ARB Front Differential Cover
-ARB Rear Differential Cover

---Interior/Communications---
-Cobra WX18STII CB Radio
-4 Foot Firestick II Antenna
-2 pairs of Mastercraft Grab Handles(front/rear)
-Tread Lightly Floorliners
-GPS

---Recovery Gear---
-WARN M8000 Winch
-Hi-Lift Jack Xtreme 48”
-Fire Extinguisher
-Small Shovel
-Axe
-4 Straps (30', 20', 20' w/ hooks, Treesaver Strap)
-7 Shackles
-1 Pulley/Snatchblock
-20 feet of 3/8" Chain
-Hi-Lift Offroad Kit with tensioner chains and Jack Base
-Rear Receiver Tow Hook
-Air Compressor
-Tire Repair Kit

---Misc Gear---
-Bestop Full Soft Doors
-Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocaters
-Staun Automatic Tire Deflators
-Collapsable Small Camping Shovel
-4x4 Tire Gauge/Misc Gauges
-First Aid Kit
-Flashlight
-Work Gloves
-Wiffle Bat with two Wiffle Balls(essential gear)

Almost all modifications were removed off my 2007 and transferred to my 2012.

Last edited by BrettDez; 11-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Another vote for the 2012. I drove both 2011 & 2012 with manual (standard) tranny. As described above, night & day difference & the 2011 was out of the running instantly (despite the superb $$$ deal they were offering). In hindsight, I'm scared that I might have *not* gotten the 2012.

I also concur that the 2012 clutch is extremely light -- too light, if you ask me.

I'm transitioning from a 1998 Sport, which was impossible to stall. You need to launch the 2012 a bit more assertively (by that I mean, use enough throttle & engage smoothly) or you'll either be stalling constantly or going through clutch disks like mad. I think this was an odd choice on Chrysler's part -- after all, how many mall crawlers will order a manual?

Like others have mentioned, the 2012 is more (ahem) mature, compared to my farm implement 1998 but you gotta realize Chrysler's gotta pursue the median consumers (or close, anyway). Be aware that this is very apparent in the 4-dr models, which are likely to compete with minivans for the I-don't-want-to-drive-a-minivan crowd. I hate to admit it but after about a month I'm really liking the quiet cabin on the highway & the much improved fit, finish & feel -- not to mention the 2012 will actually stop from highway speed!

Mine has the 430N nav. It _is_ very nicely integrated, but I agree the street coverage is lacking even in suburban areas. Hopefully that's merely a matter of database upgrades & not a limitation of the hardware itself.

My impressions are based on the 2012 JKU Rubi hardtop, so YMMV.

Quick Reply: Sooo, how are you finding the new pentastar?