Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sometimes I miss my JKU

Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gonna do it anyway, it's just a matter of time. So save yourself from questioning and go and get it! You'll be happy and your dog will be happy!! win win situation!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I love my oil burning 2dr but having a 100lb great dane and all my friends wanting to ride my jeep so we can go onto the beach has gotten so old its not funny. Not to mention all the chairs cooler firewood, etc. I have to bring every time. As soon as my finances cooperate I'm getting into a new 4 door.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first 4dr.....traded my 2dr TJ with no rear seats....no regrets...it seems I have more friends now....lol
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like you have the dreaded "Phantom JKU"

A phantom JKU is the sensation that an amputated or missing JKU parts are still attached to the JK body and is moving appropriately with other JK body parts. Approximately 60 to 80% of former JKU owners that moved into the sleeker and sexier 2door JKs experience phantom sensations in their amputated JK, and the majority of the sensations are painful. Phantom sensations may also occur after the removal of parts other than the doors, e.g. after amputation of the additional doors, extraction of gear (phantom gear room pain) or removal of an backseat to fit said gear (phantom seat syndrome). The missing JKU doors often feels shorter and may feel as if it is in a distorted and painful position. Occasionally, the pain can be made worse by stress, anxiety, and weather changes. Phantom JKU pain is usually intermittent. The frequency and intensity of attacks usually declines with time.

Although not all phantom JKUs are painful, JK owners will sometimes feel as if they are gesturing to backseat passengers that don't exist, feel less leg room, more cramped space, or even try to pick up additional friends that you no longer have room for.

A slightly different sensation known as phantom JKU pain can also occur in people who never owned a JKU, and people who are driving lesser "wanna be" jeeps. Phantom pains occur when nerves that would normally innervate the missing JKU doors cause pain. It is often described as a burning or similarly strange sensation and can be extremely agonizing for some people, but the exact sensation differs widely for individuals.

hang in there bro it will get better with time and soon you will be asking yourself did I really need all that gear and those extra doors?

Last edited by jk.bushwacker; 10-03-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
sounds like you have the dreaded "Phantom JKU" A phantom JKU is the sensation that an amputated or missing JKU is still attached to the JK body and is moving appropriately with other JK body parts. Approximately 60 to 80% of former JKU owners that moved into the sleeker and sexier 2door JKs experience phantom sensations in their amputated JK, and the majority of the sensations are painful. Phantom sensations may also occur after the removal of MOD parts other than the doors, e.g. after amputation of the additional doors, extraction of gear (phantom gear room pain) or removal of an backseat to fit said gear (phantom seat syndrome). The missing JKU doors often feels shorter and may feel as if it is in a distorted and painful position. Occasionally, the pain can be made worse by stress, anxiety, and weather changes. Phantom JKU pain is usually intermittent. The frequency and intensity of attacks usually declines with time. Although not all phantom JKUs are painful, JK owners will sometimes feel as if they are gesturing to backseat passengers that don't exist, feel less leg room, more cramped space, or even try to pick up additional friends that you no longer have room for. A slightly different sensation known as phantom JKU pain can also occur in people who never owned a JKU, and people who are driving lesser "wanna be" jeeps. Phantom pains occur when nerves that would normally innervate the missing JKU doors cause pain. It is often described as a burning or similarly strange sensation and can be extremely agonizing for some people, but the exact sensation differs widely for individuals. hang in there bro it will get better with time and soon you be asking yourself did I really need all that gear and those extra doors?
Well...ok then. Guess I have the disorder. Not sure if there's a cure though, except for going back to a jku. Appreciate the insight though. Learned something new.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Have you thought of just picking up a really cheap 4door SUV instead? Like an early 2000's Tahoe or something?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B 1000
Have you thought of just picking up a really cheap 4door SUV instead? Like an early 2000's Tahoe or something?
Na, I don't need a 4 door that badly. The only one I'd buy is a jku if I was going to. The money I'd spend on an old SUV I could use as a down payment on a jku. I'm not in need of a larger vehicle too much, but it's nice to have at times.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good thing about jk's is that they hold their value so well, which means I could wait months to decide. I love the way my 2 door looks, but a lifted 4 door looks so badass. For another $4k it may be worth bit. I looked at tons of new jku's online and I noticed most of the colors are black, white, billet, and dune. I don't want any of those colors. Wonder why they're pushing that dune color so hard? Not a fan.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 door and 3 dogs. I've had the back seat in twice since buying it over 2 years ago. I've never considered a 4 door, even if the mrs and I have a kid sometime in the near future we both can't think of getting a 4 door. Just thought I'd share, don't really expect a reply back lol...
Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mntwins
I have a 2 door and 3 dogs. I've had the back seat in twice since buying it over 2 years ago. I've never considered a 4 door, even if the mrs and I have a kid sometime in the near future we both can't think of getting a 4 door. Just thought I'd share, don't really expect a reply back lol...
Well, you're getting one. Ha. Yeah, I think I'm gonna pull out the back seat for awhile, which obviously makes it feel bigger. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to get a 4 door when 90% of the time I have ample room in my 2 door. We always want what we don't have. I'll probably end up keeping it and paying it off and then get a nice sedan or SUV as a primary.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I miss my JKU