Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

someone attempted to steal my jeep

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind with stuff in a vehicle most of the time it is not covered by the auto insurance. We are not talking the radio but anything else is usually not covered if stolen. You have to claim stolen stuff on the homeowners insurance (even if not at home). In this case most people's deductable is such to where it is not worthwhile to claim it. The moral is not to keep anything you can't afford to replace.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Works great on the doors

You can get a non-chip key cut to open the doors and console with, however if you start the vehicle with a non-chip key it will start and run for about 2 seconds before the computer shuts her down.....
Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

my bike was stolen off the back off my jeep the other night, in my driveway.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by j&k'sjk
sometimes Ithink were better off sanitizing the inside and leave the doors unlocked.
I tried this with my old YJ...nothing in there to steal, left the doors unlocked...they still slashed the side window trying to get into it. I guess if they're stupid enough to be going around stealing things from people's Jeeps, they're probably too stupid to just try to door handle first...
Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave the JK unlocked at all times. I also leave about $3.00 in loose change in the cup holders. That way, if they get in, they "got something" and will leave the rest alone (there is nothing of value left in the Jeep, and all locks are unlocked).
Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

My theory is just to leave the top down, doors off, glove compartment and center console unlocked.

They look in, see nothing and leave.

And if they were going to steal the vehicle itself, none of the above would have prevented it anyways.. so I figure I'm lessening my chance of damage overall.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

see i dont know if your insurance policies differ, but if something gets taken from the my vehicle / interior damaged / vehicle gets stolen, and its found out that it wasnt locked, my insurance becomes void

As they say it was expected due to my lack of care and attention, and to make a claim for something stolen from the glove box/centre console, due dilligence must have been taken to ensure the item was locked in the box/console respectively.

the immobiliser system can be bypassed by confusing the ECU, using a form of handheld unit that plugs in under the dash - this is part of the Thatcham testing to warrant the immobiliser with its Cat2 rating
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about your Jeep. One thing I hate is thievery.

I keep the all doors unlock (except the gate). If someone does tries to break in, I just hope they try the doors first rather than cut on of my windows.
If they want in, they are getting in..no alarm is gonna stop them.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

I lock the doors, but don't leave anything in the car. If I do, I hide it to keep from tempting any would-be thieves. Around here (in New Orleans), if someone wants something, they're going to go for it, no matter what they have to break to get it. It happens all the time. Most of the time they just want a quick score, so there aren't many cars stolen.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Thieves suck.

I worry about the add ons i made like the winch,Bumpers and stuff... I unfortunately have to leave my Jeep outside,unattended for up to 2 weeks at a time.

I am close to just renting a boat storage shed and putting the Jeep in there while i am gone, And buying a POS for the work vehicle.

Quick Reply: someone attempted to steal my jeep