Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Some first upgrad questions??

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some first upgrad questions??

So, it looks like about 1,500 is going to free up in the budget. I need to figure how best to invest into the fun factor of Cosmo

We have stock rubber on the 16" steelys and 3.21 gears. We may see lite trails once or twice a month, kinda need mileage, I drive 2-3 K a month. But I want to better look the off road part, and maybe function also.

I have 2 thoughts currently, first is Rubicon take-offs and those e-bay e-AUTOXTRAS bumpers and a basic winch and maybe a leveling kit.

Or, new 35's and a budget boost. ( think may need to find some take off gears to change to at least 3.73 or 4.10 the dream would be 4.88 but how often are those swapped out)

What's your opinion, (wish I had 10k to throw at Cosmo but the kid need food too)??
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well the answer depends a lot on where you will be wheeling and how high your future budget will be....but I am in a similar boat about first upgrades except my budget is slightly bigger (no kids and been in AFghanistan for the past 12 months) but if I was you I would look into the fender cutting thread and also check the rough country hybrid stubby bumper with fog lights. Thats only a couple hundred gone from your budget, then look into a minimual spacer lift and spend the rest on nice tires and wheel spacers. Also try and search for threads from discount tire direct involving 15 inch wheels (made by MB) You can sava a lot of tire money there and with that new lightweight front bumper it will not sag as much. I believe this is very doable on 1500 buy you need to do the right research....BTW I Fu***ng love the color of your Jeep and am very jelious...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also I would stick with some lightweight 33s with your gearing...Maybe BFG AT's....
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

I think you are right about the BFG's, I hear that they wear well.
Btw, thanks for the color complement, the Cosmos Blue gets lots of looks!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your worried about mileage and just going to wheel occasionally I would maybe go for a leveling kit and some all terrains. But if your thinking about Rubi takeoffs I would say do it. If your on 16" steelies with 29" tires then the Rubi takeoff wheels and tires will make it look like a completely different animal.

I run mine at 32psi on road and they ride great IMO. Air em down to around 15psi for the trail and they work great offroad too.

Quick Reply: Some first upgrad questions??