Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft tops & snow?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft tops & snow?

I was gonna get my jeep with dual tops but then I started thinking I could just get soft tops to save a buck or 3. Plus I'm not sure that I'll have ample storage space in my new place when I move...

We don't get super-nasty snow here in Philly but on occasion we get dumped on pretty bad. So, I'm just wondering how well a soft top will hold up in a really bad snow storm? If we get really heavy snow overnight, will the roof be able to hold all that added weight from the snow? I'd hate to come out one morning and find my top all caved in.

Also, I read somewhere that when you drive around in the snow you can get condensation forming on the inside and get dripped on a lot.. is this true?

And in bad weather, do you miss not having a rear defroster? That's something I'm pretty used to now since I never had a car that didn't have it.....
Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by necros
I was gonna get my jeep with dual tops but then I started thinking I could just get soft tops to save a buck or 3. Plus I'm not sure that I'll have ample storage space in my new place when I move...

We don't get super-nasty snow here in Philly but on occasion we get dumped on pretty bad. So, I'm just wondering how well a soft top will hold up in a really bad snow storm? If we get really heavy snow overnight, will the roof be able to hold all that added weight from the snow? I'd hate to come out one morning and find my top all caved in.

Also, I read somewhere that when you drive around in the snow you can get condensation forming on the inside and get dripped on a lot.. is this true?

And in bad weather, do you miss not having a rear defroster? That's something I'm pretty used to now since I never had a car that didn't have it.....
I live in central NH and it snows here alot. I have awakened to over a foot of snow on my soft top on several occassions. So far now apparent damage. And before anyone pipes up...............it leaked around the a-pillar long before it ever got snowed on. No better or no worse now.

As to the condensation problem...........I've heard others mention it but I've never experienced it myself. I am careful to remove any snow load prior to starting the Jeep and using the heat so maybe that accounts for me not having the problem.

Finally, yes I miss the lack of a rear defroster but that alone won't solve the problem. Usually the back window is so filthy (due yo lack of washer/wiper) that you couldn't see out of it anyway.

BTW........any problems aside, my opinion is that the soft top is a major reason for owning a Wrangler.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

I have had large dumps of light snow on the soft top and up to 12" dumps of heay snow on the soft top. No problems and I have owned soft tops since 1981. Wet carpets and heat usually add up to condensation on the soft top in cold weather, thats why i usually pull the carpets and rhino line the tub.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems here with the soft top. We can get some really heavy-wet snow too, but so far, so good.

I was concerned when i got it too, but the more I thought about it, the less worried I got. I ran a soft tonneau cover on my pickup for quite a while. It could hold a lot of snow, with no issues. Plus, there are plenty of convertible cars around here, so I figured if they had no issues, I shouldn't either.

I've never heard of this condensation problem, and I've never had that issue.

The rear window is not biggy. It can become useless with road salt buildup, but it didn't take much getting used to. (Then again, I've been driving box trucks at work for a while, and there is no "Back window" to see through anyways... so I don't know how that skews my opinion). At highway speeds, the rear window is self-clearing for the most part, anyways. And honestly, I don't see the hard top window doing much better. Between that massive Wiper housing on the inside, the very small patch that the wiper will clear, and that rear tire, you probably get a tiny little window.

For snow clearing, I usually just turn the jeep on, with defroster on at full blast, while I'm shoveling my driveway. After a little warm up, clean up is a breeze, as there's usually a nice layer of melt at the surface of the top that lets the snow fall right off. Works well.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrtjk
Same here...I bought one of those soft square foam snow brushes and simply pull or push the snow off and have had no problems. (knock on wood)
i was going to mention the same thing. i used to sell cars and we used those all the time. i think they are called a sno-rake. they can put small scratches in paint if you're not careful, but i wouldn't be afraid to use one on the top of the roof.

that sould help with the condensation.

A hard top would be nice, but it's not a must have in my opinion.
a hardtop is not a necessity, but it is nice. i don't throw money around like crazy, but my sticker was already pushing $30K, so i went for the dual-roof this time.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

I went for the soft top for two reasons: I live in an apartment building with nowhere to store a hard top or its pieces. Also, a soft top is THE image I grew with so for myself, I wanted the total jeep experience.
Yes the rear window gets foggy and dirty quickly but that only means you are more vigilant about checking your side mirrors and paying more attention to traffic. Not a bad habit to be forced into. Think about all the fun you'll have in the summer when you're out with friends and you decide you want to go topless: a problem with the hardtop, a breeze with the ragtop. BTW, never had condensation dripping on me but these are early days yet.

Last edited by Sparky; 02-03-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here...I bought one of those soft square foam snow brushes and simply pull or push the snow off and have had no problems. (knock on wood)

Hardest part of a soft top is keeping the rear window clean, and that's just pure laziness combined with a lack of rear wiper/fluid.

A hard top would be nice, but it's not a must have in my opinion.
X2 i got one of those lil foam pushers, and is the greatest thing for the soft top
Old 02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think of all the convertible cars out there in snow areas. I've never seen one cave in from snow. Oh sure, 20yrs from now when your top is deteriorating from age I'm sure a good snowfall will collapse it, but you're safe for now.

Besides, it's a Jeep! Not a piece of fine china. Sure, Jeep may suck with leaks and crap but they built it a little bit tough at least.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Obviously it's not a problem where i live now, but I owned my YJ whil i lived in Chicage & then Flagstaff, so I had lots of snow on it. I never had an issue with the snow, just pull it off with the scraper and go. If you are expecting a real heavy snow fall, I' reccomend going out every couple of hours to keep it cleared off, but otherwise should not require anything special in the snow.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I'm just wondering how well a soft top will hold up in a really bad snow storm? If we get really heavy snow overnight, will the roof be able to hold all that added weight from the snow?

1. I have not had any problems with heavy snow on my soft top here in new england. 2. I have not had any problems with condensation not even a drop. 3. I don't miss the rear defroster 'cause I don't use the rear window.

Quick Reply: Soft tops & snow?