Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top for winter or buy a hard top?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine even in the cold up there. That said, I have both tops, the hard top is quieter, warmer, and has defrost and a wiper. Really helps on those frosty mornings, especially since my remote start automatically turns on the defrost on rear window and mirrors. I wouldn't pay extra if mine didn't come with both.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To the op ul be fine with it soft top, only reason i have a hard top is my last jeep had dual tops and i kept the hard top
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scotiez
I have a question for those who experienced winter conditions like where I live. I am from North Dakota ( ICE BOX of the US) my old jeep (TJ) was a hard top. Winter weather never bothered that top. I now have a JK with a soft top, At night my jeep is always garaged (nonheated) at work it sits outside, Many days in the winter the temps are -20 to -30 degrees. Will the factory soft top survive the extreme cold? I only work 3 miles from home, all city driving. The Soft top is factory and in great condition. I was looking at Bestop and I see they have a new twill material top for replacement that says it can handle extreme cold and a lifetime warranty. Was thinking about getting that next spring, but wanted to go through this winter with the top I have now. What are your opinions on Soft tops in extreme cold climates?
As long as you don't try to scrape ice off the top and windows, the factory top will work well.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

My son had soft top on his tracker. Extreme cold in ks plus him tapping from inside to shake off snow caused a very nice long rip. The plastic split about a foot long. Until this episode the soft top was perfect. so treat it well and be gentle.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The soft top will suffice but it's up to you. The hard top definitely has its advantages but it's an investment at more than $1,000 and the soft top can technically do the trick.

Your call...

Quick Reply: Soft top for winter or buy a hard top?