Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top vs hard top on 4 door

Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason6
I test drove a '11 JKU hardtop & '10 softtop when I was in the market. Hardtop is obviously quieter, but I noticed the cramped feel with it over my head. I think it sits inside the roll bar, where the soft top is bowed over, giving (or at least feeling) like there is a lot more head room. Just based on how I felt in it, I went with the softtop.

I never thought about the road sound or picked up on it during my test drive. However, the first thing I really noticed was a neighbors conversation was as clear as day when they walked by my Jeep. Now it's just "normal". Definitely a sound difference, but I enjoy hearing the hum of my tires and the ease of putting the entire top down on a moments notice.

If I could do it over again, ideally I'd like to think I'd buy both the hardtop/soft top, but I didn't... On my second JK with a soft top.

People will swear by both and each has the pros/cons. Test drive them both (city & highway, have someone talk outside of it) Sit on it for a night, weigh the pros/cons. Biggest issue is obvously hardtop removal/storage vs soft top security.

I will say, in support of the hardtop, I do miss having a clean defrosted rear window in the winter! However, I LOVE my soft-top, from the looks, to the ease of making it dissapear. Just hide the GPS...

Good luck!
Lol
the hard top does NOT fit under the roll bars.... As stated in this reply..... too funny.

I have both..... love the look and obvious folding down opton of the soft top.... but come winter time here in Canada the hard top is nice to have especially with the rear wiper.

IF IF IF I had to only pick one.... I'd go soft top all year...... Prefer the look.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Soft top year round. No complaints. Not much wind noise, but you do notice sounds outside the Jeep more i.e. semi trucks passing you, etc. I feel it is worth it to be able to drop the top whenever and whereever you are.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a '11 with the soft top only. Its great in the summer, u can put the top down easy with little problem. Some noise but it isn't to bad.
I would love to have a hard top for the winter months!!! I can't see shit out the back window when it's raining or snowing!!!!! I plan to buy a hard top some day.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well........it's funny this thread came up. My first wrangler that I almost bought was a 2000 TJ hardtop and man what a Pima to get the top off. Said I'd never ever buy a hardtop. Then I had my official 2000TJ soft top and fell in love. And then my 11 2 dr sport.

It really was much quieter than my TJ and put the kids right to sleep on the highway.

When I traded for my 12 JKU to get the one I wanted it had to come with the hard top. And of course it's nearing winter.

So far I really like the hardtop and it looks different. I still like the soft top look but I really like this one. Haven't tried taking it off yet so I'll cross that road when it warms up but here's what I did.

Dual Top option was $1795 correct me if I'm wrong.

There are brand new still in factory box soft tops for sale all over the place. I bought a new in box complete soft top kit off Craigslist for $500 from a 2011 Jk er in which his Jk came with the dual top.

So. $500 I can't go wrong. Summer soft top winter hard top.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

As others have stated, the JK's soft top is nothing like the YJ's. So much quieter. I have both, run hard top in the winter, and I think I'll enjoy that, but as soon as the snow stops, I'll switch back to the soft top. Love being able to drop it, or even just do sunrider for the drive home.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rule 37: If you think you see a mistake, quote the mistake! I think your eyes read one thing and your brain another.

The feeling I had was that the hardtop was right on top of my head & I THINK the panels top sat in between the roll cage bars. Clearly I did not say UNDER the bars. Feel free to correct the headroom statement if im wrong.

I have not yet seen that new hardtop under the roll cage look yet. When I do, ill post pics! Haha, good times!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both. As the other posters noted the hardtop is quieter, but the softtop is light years ahead of the old jeep softtops. The hardtop is great if you need to lock the jeep. I think the softtop looks better and it is definetly more flexable. In the summer I don't notice a big difference between the two and the how my A/C works. I don't have much opinion about which is better in winter as I live in the Phoenix area.

If you are in doubt get a hardtop and then pick up a softtop on Craigslist. It is cheaper than the dual top group on a new jeep.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Yup, soft top does have more room above the roll bars. I know because that's where my fishing rods go in the summer. No room for them when the hardtop is on!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I own both tops and switch based on the season, hardtop for winter and soft top for the rest of the year.

If I didn't own both and if I had to choose one? I'd choose Soft Top WITHOUT A THOUGHT! I would never own a hardtop-only Jeep unless I lived in Alaska...and even then I might question it.

The soft tops on JKs are infinitely quieter than previous Jeeps. They're awesome.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a hard top. I love it. But I live on a second floor apartment so I couldn't get it up the stairs lol but I would rather have hardtop because it's harder to break into. There is also the freedom panels that makes it easier to get the sun warm u up. It also has a rear wiper and mister. I also have the option to paint it.

Quick Reply: Soft top vs hard top on 4 door