Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top vs hard top on 4 door

Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top vs hard top on 4 door

Been in a 2 door wrangler soft top and the wind noise was insanely annoying.. was a 96 jeep.

Is there much wind noise on the new JKU soft tops?

What are the differences really between the two tops?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
Been in a 2 door wrangler soft top and the wind noise was insanely annoying.. was a 96 jeep.

Is there much wind noise on the new JKU soft tops?

What are the differences really between the two tops?

Thanks
My OEM soft top is very quiet. It's my favorite so far.
I ran the hard top for a while, but I really prefer the soft top, it's just more Jeep-ish.
I used a Trek top for 2 years, it was a lot more noisy than the factory soft top.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I like the hardtop much better. I pretty much leave it off in the summer. I feel like i'm pitching a tent with the soft tops lol
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use both tops. Use OEM soft top from May-October, then use the hard top for the winter months to save on the soft top. Soft top isn't noisy to me. Prefer the soft look also. Agree that it makes a jeep look better. But thats just my opinion.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't find a lot of wind noise at all with my soft top in my 2010 JKU. I go hard top october through march.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi

The new soft tops are much much quieter than they used to be. I woudl love to ahve both, as long as you have somewhere to put the hard top.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
The new soft tops are much much quieter than they used to be. I woudl love to ahve both, as long as you have somewhere to put the hard top.
X2. My TJ's soft top was sounded like a banshee at high speeds. My jku soft top is waaay quieter, although, i keep thinking i want a hard top. If i had the cash i guess i would get one.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

I've had my soft top on since March and I love it. There is a little noise but not much. I really like the versatility of the soft top over my hard top. it's just nice being able to change configurations wherever you are. As the winter approaches (don't laugh at me you cold country folks) it's always nice to be able to switch back to the hard top for a bit more climate resistant configuration.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove a '11 JKU hardtop & '10 softtop when I was in the market. Hardtop is obviously quieter, but I noticed the cramped feel with it over my head. I think it sits inside the roll bar, where the soft top is bowed over, giving (or at least feeling) like there is a lot more head room. Just based on how I felt in it, I went with the softtop.

I never thought about the road sound or picked up on it during my test drive. However, the first thing I really noticed was a neighbors conversation was as clear as day when they walked by my Jeep. Now it's just "normal". Definitely a sound difference, but I enjoy hearing the hum of my tires and the ease of putting the entire top down on a moments notice.

If I could do it over again, ideally I'd like to think I'd buy both the hardtop/soft top, but I didn't... On my second JK with a soft top.

People will swear by both and each has the pros/cons. Test drive them both (city & highway, have someone talk outside of it) Sit on it for a night, weigh the pros/cons. Biggest issue is obvously hardtop removal/storage vs soft top security.

I will say, in support of the hardtop, I do miss having a clean defrosted rear window in the winter! However, I LOVE my soft-top, from the looks, to the ease of making it dissapear. Just hide the GPS...

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I have a hard top and soft top for my 07 JKU. love them both. I don't think my soft top is as noisy as others I've been in but I do like my hard top the best.

Quick Reply: Soft top vs hard top on 4 door