Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Top Removal

Old 02-18-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Removal

I remember a thread a while back, involving someone taking out there softtop using 2x4's to hold up hardtop enough to pull softtop out? I ran a search and came up with nothing... My other question is, are there steps on this site that help with the detaching of the soft top arms from the bracket? Again could not find anything on that as well.... Reason I am asking is I may have to do it myself and was not sure if the whole roof has to come off to get the soft top out... any help would be great
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...you will have to lift the hard top right off to get the soft top out. But putting the 2x4 under the rear of the hard top while the soft top is still under there won't work because the soft top gets in the way.

When I lifted mine, I used the same set up of the four eyebolts screwed into my garage roof beams, and four tiedown straps. Only instead of useing the 2x4 (because it wouldn't fit),
I left the rear window open and hooked the top, in the upper right and left hand corners of the sealing area of the window. I basicly hooked it to the fiberglass lip that the rear window seal attaches to....which I must admit, made me really nervious, bacause I was affraid that the hook might damage the fiberglass top once the weight was on it. But I made sure that the hooks had a really good grasp and just took it really easy one strap at a time. Back and forth from one strap to the other, little by little raising it up, and It worked out OK.
I lifted the hard top just high enough to drive the vehicle out from under it. Then I removed the soft top, and backed the vehicle back under the hard top, and slowly lowered it down one strap at a time.
Back and forth from one strap to the other, little by little. All went well.

It's really a pain in the neck to do it this way, but if you have no other option available at the time, you do what you gotta do.

Here's a couple of links to the threads you were talking about. I found them in the "JK write-ups" section on the main page.
This is where you will find a lot of the Do It Yourself custom modifications that folks have made for their Jeeps.
In the 2nd link there's a picture that shows a mod that a guy named Modshack, did where he installed lift points to the top of his hard top...I liked this idea.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-sub-%2420-hard-top-storage-solution-1035/ https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/freedom-top-hoist-2275/

I haven't seen a write up for removing the soft top, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Maybe one of the other folks knows for sure if there is one.

In order to get the soft top off your most likely going to need a special tool called a "Torx bit", and I believe the size you will need is a T30. You can get a decient set of these from Sears, or Auto Palace, NAPA, or even PepBoys. The bolts that hold the hard top down also need to be removed with a Torx bit, but those take a T40. Buy a set that you can use with a 3/8 drive ratchet ...you'll be better off.

Read your owners manual. It tells you in there how to remove and install both of your tops.
Also, if you got a video casette from the dealer when you got your vehicle, watch it, because
it shows you how to remove and also install both tops, as well as give you a bunch of good
info that you will need to know.
I don't know if they are giving out videos with the new JK's...I got one when I got my '06 TJ Unlimited.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks CHOPPER, I will start by getting the correct tools, then get a few friends over to pop the top. My problem is it is so cold in the North East I need a good day to do it. Just hope having the soft tiop under there for a few days does not compromise the sailcloth....
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I removed the soft top from inside the hard top by myself in the garage this way.
1. Open tailgate and lift glass. Put back seats down. Take the 2 boxes out.
2. Remove the soft top pins, so it is loose. Put them in a safe place. Take the Hardtop wiring and washer line loose while you are back there.
3. Remove the two front panels.
4. Remove all of the Hardtop bolts. The manual lists what you need.
5. Get in the back, and stand up holding the Feedom top. It's not heavy.
6. Drop the soft top out of the tailgate.
7. Put everything back. Your done. Total time less than 30 minutes.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff
I removed the soft top from inside the hard top by myself in the garage this way.
1. Open tailgate and lift glass. Put back seats down. Take the 2 boxes out.
2. Remove the soft top pins, so it is loose. Put them in a safe place. Take the Hardtop wiring and washer line loose while you are back there.
3. Remove the two front panels.
4. Remove all of the Hardtop bolts. The manual lists what you need.
5. Get in the back, and stand up holding the Feedom top. It's not heavy.
6. Drop the soft top out of the tailgate.
7. Put everything back. Your done. Total time less than 30 minutes.
So while holding up the hard top up, how are you getting the soft top to drop out? I am having a problem getting a visual...... I would think the soft top arms would kick up or cock one way or another scratching the inside... I may be looking at this the wrong way... So far I like this idea just need a little clarification.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Riprock
So while holding up the hard top up, how are you getting the soft top to drop out? I am having a problem getting a visual...... I would think the soft top arms would kick up or cock one way or another scratching the inside... I may be looking at this the wrong way... So far I like this idea just need a little clarification.
I did mine the same way on my Unlimited. I am well above average in strength and it was still a bitch I held the top up with one hand and slid the soft top out with the other......I have the patience of a 10 year old so I had to do it my self. I would recomend to anyone bother a buddy or neibor for the 5 minutes it will take. I smacked my self for doing it alone could have damaged something.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I balanced the Freedom top on my back and used my hands to pick up the soft top and then walked or shuffled towards the back and dropped the top.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi

I was the one that said to prop it up with 2x4s . Just do what Jeff said but instead of trying to hold it up with your back and trying to pull out the soft top. Prop the hard top up with 2x4's and then climb out and pull out the soft top. This is if you dont have the help of a friend. If so just stand up in the back basicly lifting the top with your back and have your friend pull out the soft top.
Make sure your doors are open a bit so the top doesn't have to be lifted perfectly vertical.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since we are on the subject, the book does not make the steps clear enough that a dummy like me can understand. What is actually being detached? Are the screws on both sets of arms loosened and pulled off or the whole plate attached to the rollbar.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

If you are removing the soft top just the screws and arms. Jeep recomends taking the plate off also, I'm sure for safety reasons. If you got in an accident and someone wacked themself on that braket it would do some damage. Some guys leave them on.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Removal