Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top or Hard??

Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top or Hard??

IMO I think the soft top says Jeep more than a Hardtop....any thoughts on the matter??
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

if you live in the north, get a hard top and then buy a soft top later.....cheaper
Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the north and Just have a soft top. Think the real concern is WHERE you live. If security is a issue go with a hard top, but weather wise (snow cold ect) the soft top does just fine.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got both. Used the hard top last year during the winter and am using the soft top this year. Since the heater is extremely efficient, I don't know if I'll ever put the hard top back on again.

But IMHO I think the soft top looks better and more "Jeep-like". My Dad agrees and says it doesn't look so much like a Hummer now.

I agree with the above poster though... if security is a huge concern, use the Hard top.

Last edited by SMP_70; 12-18-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The soft top does hold up really well in the winter. Going into my second winter now with the Jeep parked outside for whatever mother nature throws at it and no problems yet. Plus nothing beats being able to quickly put the top down on a nice day, or simply take off the sides Again however as said above if security is an issue go with the hardtop.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll agree with them ^^^^

The soft top holds up pretty darn well in the winter. A rear-wiper would be nice for the salty-water that builds up, but other than that, the Soft works fine.

But, like they said, Hard top = better security...

Also, I would tend to think replacing a soft top might occur more often when using through the winter, but that is something only time will tell...

Now, personally speaking... If I were to do it again, i'd get the Factory Hardtop (even though that wild boar hard top is siiiiick), and then order the best top trek top for the summer... But that's only because I want it now!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

I was going to post something similar. I really want a hard top but all the X's with the C package around here only have the soft top. I'm glad to hear what you guys are saying about how good the soft top works.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a lift in the garage to hoist off the hardtop. It is actually much easier to go topless with the hardtop than it is with the ragtop. However, the ragtop screams JEEP! I run the ragtop in the summer and the hardtop in the winter but hey, this is Arizona and who can tell the difference!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got both. The hardtop is sweet for the winter, especially with the freedom panels off on somewhat warm winter days. And the soft top - it says Jeep!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Got both. Living in New England and with a foot of snow on the way alone tomorrow the Hard top works very well for us. Summer in New England with all its humidity and it will be soft top all the way.

Best of both worlds IMHO...

Quick Reply: Soft top or Hard??