Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

soft top down

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top down

Just wondering when you take your soft top down does anyone unzip the windows or do you leave em in ?

i usually leave my windows in but it is a little more bulky.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

In my TJ, I always took the windows off. I hated the creases and scratches they would get. It was one thing if my Jeep earned the scratches, it was another thing if it looked bad because I was lazy.

Living in So Cal I never worried about freak rain storms or cold, so it was easy to leave the windows in the garage for the spring and summer. Sometimes I would fold the top up at night to keep the G.F. happy or to keep the seats dry.

We will see what happens when I get the JK.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar question. my work is very dusty and I want to drive too and from work every day with the top down but I don't want to spend 15 min when iget to work and 15 min when I get ready to leave to zip and unzip the windows. heck I only have a 20 min drive to work. any suggestions
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I take my windows out before putting the top down. It doesn't take a lot to scratch the windows. It doesn't take that long to remove them.

I need to get a bag for mine so I can carry them with me in the jeep instead of leaving them at home.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
I have a similar question. my work is very dusty and I want to drive too and from work every day with the top down but I don't want to spend 15 min when iget to work and 15 min when I get ready to leave to zip and unzip the windows. heck I only have a 20 min drive to work. any suggestions
How about a cover for the jeep? Wouldn't think it would take long to put one of those on.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lately I've been keeping a close eye on the weather and removing them completely for storage in the garage when the weather will be good for a few days. In the past I would take them out and slide them down between the rear seat and the folded top and they stayed unwrinkled however I've become accustom to not running with a back seat lately so I'm thinking of digging up that thread that had a window holder made out of a PVC pipe and using that.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other suggestions, or comments on what damage the windows will have to be put down without un zipping?

Red
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

unfortunately even the manual and that dumb card they sent out a few months ago all say windows have to be taken out to prevent damage...
Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dremex
... I'm thinking of digging up that thread that had a window holder made out of a PVC pipe and using that.
here's that thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/window-storage-option-8186/

I may have to make one myself.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
Any other suggestions, or comments on what damage the windows will have to be put down without un zipping?

Red
Well, if you don't remove it from the plastic by the door, it will rip somewhere. Also, it puts stress on the zipper, and makes it more likely to fail during the lifetime of the jeep. The back window it simply scratches all to hell.

Quick Reply: soft top down