Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

soft doors?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default soft doors?

who's got em? what are the pros and cons? full vs half? things you wish you knew? best ones out there? any regrets? love to see some pics of your rig rockn the soft doors too.

ideally my thoughts were that I could just pull em off an toss em in the back (2door) will they fit? maybe I could strap em to the spare tire?

many thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bestop 2 piece soft doors. I love mine! Little noisy on the interstate but that don't bother me. If you get them, you have to bend the uppers so they make a good seal to prevent flapping at high speeds and to keep the water out. And as far as portability, they're great to throw I the back when it's sunny out. And when rain comes knocking , put them on real quick and you're protected from the elements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2664351084.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	481103
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mixed feelings about mine. They're a great rainy day backup. I'm still "fitting" mine and for the price, you shouldn't have to. Mine leak some and separate at the top at 45+ mph.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

I got some, they are good in the rain and keep me dry. Only complaint is getting the upper door to sit flush with the soft top. You got to do some tweaking to get them to sit right. Other than that I've had them on all summer and don't plan on putting my full doors on till winter.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bestop Soft Doors Installed

Pros - Lightweight, 1/2 doors look right on a jk with top down or up/ can take them with you/ you don't care if the trail or another car hits them/ cuts down on wind tunnel effect with just lowers in/ no door feeling with a place to rest your arm/ even with the doors on you have the open leg space to the left of the steering wheel like you would with no doors/ gives you a reason to bedline your interior

Cons- Noisy, bad fitment, and definitely leak but manangable , need a mirror solution, more effort to close inside and out with the striker latch, plastic can be a little more difficult to see through/ I want to say they are less secure, but if you have a soft top it doesn't matter

In my opinion, I can deal totally deal with the cons. They do not leak all too bad, and the uppers aren't that noisy on the highway. The way I see it is 80 % of the time I have the uppers in the back, so your not dealing with the cons the uppers come with all the time your driving.

I just leave the lowers in and take the uppers off and throw them in the rear until I need them. This is what I absolutely love about them. Takes literally 1 minute to put them back on before you step into your house, and 1 minute to take them both off the next day in case of rain. I really don't run fully doorless anymore.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW thanks everyone for the great input! so I like some of the responses but I am hearing that there are some fitment issues. that's not a big deal to me as I love going doorless and I would yank em off as soon as it stops raining. as long as they keep you mostly dry that would be good.

Another option I was toying with, was the element doors from bestop. I was thinking running the doors with just the storage bag option and the uppers. I know the storage bag doesn't cover the entire door but keep in mind I just wanna keep most of the water out. a lil rain wont piss me off too much with this setup I could leave the lowers on all the time but pull the uppers and the storage bags off when I want that doorless feeling. this way I only have to store the uppers and bags in the jeep and one would think it might be a lil less messing around to get them back on too. idk I would still prob wanna pull them all the way off too. do they weigh too much can they be tossed in the back of the two door?

please keep the comments coming and of course those pics of your sweet rigs! jeeps look so bad ass with half and soft doors!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

As far as weight- I can easily carry all four uppers at the same time (2 in each hand). I have the 4door model and they all fit in the back, even with my third row seat back there! Here's proof (softop windows are under the panels also). I won't go over pros and cons cause it seems like everyone's already touched on all the issues. With all that said - I 100% love mine and they kept me dry last weekend (2 days of rain)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1786639584.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	481143   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-844245733.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	481144   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1824790715.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	481145  

Last edited by SaFFFari; 07-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 6 jeeps. 5 had half doors.

I was quite unhappy with my full door TJ. My JKU is also half doors.

But it depends on your situation whether it will work for you. Security is the big draw back. I don't daily drive mine. I off road it pretty good and the doors offer better visibility while helping reduce body flex. Also they help when fording water like Fordyce here in CA.

I've never removed my half doors because of the protection they offer my kids.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love my Best Top soft doors. Yes it is louder on the hwy., yes you have to work on fitment (only the first time), but they are very convenient as others have stated.

As far as the mirror issue goes, just put a TJ set on them. The plastic Best Top TJ mirrors fit perfect and are light weight, but a set of normal metal TJ mirrors will bolt right up too.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love them. It does take some time to figure out how to adjust them but once you figure it out your golden

And I never run fully doorless anymore....love the half doors
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1819740878.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	483863  

Quick Reply: soft doors?