Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a Jeep JK?
To get the best commercially built 4x4 available?
65.89%
To be a mall crawler (all jacked up and no where to go)
2.33%
For The status (no intention of getting it dirty)
3.88%
Word of mouth
0%
Just figured "What the hell eh?"
27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

So why did you initially buy a Jeep?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dog voted and decided the JK had the highest FPG (Fun Per Gallon). 4 wheel'in and no top, hard to beat. The poodle down the road now thinks he's cool.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine because of the price, spaciousness, quiet ride, great MPGs, easy suspension and driveline diagnostics, knowledgable, quick, and cheap dealer services, not many mods to waste money on, great safety stats, awesome security features, and reliable on-road performance, and superior handling.

The only thing I would change is my JK's terrible off- road performance. You get what you pay for though...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Always liked my friends/family's jeeps since I was a kid but never thought about actually owning one of my own until the 4dr came out. A couple of years of saving and looking for the right one, it finally came about the same time as a good promotion so I didn't have an excuse to not buy it. I have loved every second of driving and wrenching on it. Can't imagine ever being without one now.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

i bought the jk because.........

i hurt myself really bad on my motocross bike, and didnt need the Ram anymore to carry my bike around, and always wanted a jeep and figured it would still get me to all the awesome places the bike took me...........

Also i love working on and making things better than they are, the jeep comes with a forum like this and as many aftermarket parts as your wallet alows.....perfect match.
Price was a factor too!!!!! great toy for the cost, and none of my buds have one, but i bet you they will all start buying them now haha
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Because I needed something else to spend my money on. Lol. J/k
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BallZ6spd
I think your professor/teacher would not like the wording of your polling question. There is a lot of bias built into it. Your results won't be an accurate representation of the Jeep culture.

I think he or she would say the design of your poll lacks aesthetic merit, impact, and will fail to accurately express reality.

Thanks for the incite, but this not for school. This is for a particularly specialized military course and it is the first time I have ever had to do this sort of thing, so I apologize for the "un-student like" phrasing of the question. I do realize that it could have been worded differently, but I have 2 days to complete this.

Thanks for all the responses so far folks !
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first jeep was a YJ.

I didn't buy it for any of the reasons on the "vote" post, so I didn't vote.

I bought the jeep because it was the best balance of true off-road capability and on-road reasonableness.

That is the same for Jeep #2 (YJ). For Jeep #3 (CJ-5), I bought it for true off-road usefullness. For Jeep #4 (TJ) I bought it with the intent of turning it into a true trail rig that did not require a trailer to get back and forth (aka Non trailer queen). Jeep #5 (TJ) was bought already built and I gave it to my wife so we could wheel together. Jeep #6 (JKU) was purchased to be a mild wheeler where I could bring my family and gear that required a trailer with my TJ's. I then turned the JKU in to a real wheeler and am now selling my TJ since I can wheel this one anywhere I want - wth my family or by myself.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

I have alway's wanted a Jeep for year's. After I got married in 2006 I asked my wife if she could by what ever Veh. she wanted , she said a Jeep . She picked out a 2006 Jeep Commander . That I got for her on Christmas Eve 2006. 2 year's later We traded it in on a 2008 Jeep Liberty Limited. In Feb 2009 she said it was time for me to get my own Jeep and that is how I got my JKU . After 30 Year's of wanting one.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

It's a Jeep there's only one.
It's like when you want a motorcycle Harley Davidson is all most think of.
When you want a "true 4x4" only Jeep comes to mind.
My 08 is the 3rd JK I have owned.
07 2dr. bought as gift for myself. Married 3 days later she took it over. 2yrs later she said we "needed" a bigger vehicle. I ask what kind? She replied a Jeep unlimited that is her 09 JKU. Last june went to get a diesel pickup they wanted way more than the truck was worth. Seen this 08 Jk 2dr and knew the wife would say "no its a soft top" well she said it's a soft top but its worth the money, so that is how I got my Jeep back. I have owned 6 Jeep so far. 2 CJs and a 03 liberty I still have a 76 CJ5 on the ranch.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see a selection for me up there. I used to own an 09 R1. Shortly after I bought it, my wife got pregnant and we had our first, a son. I was in school at the time and didn't have enough time to sleep or hang out with my family, let alone go for a ride... by myself of course. I always loved off roading so I decided to sell my most favorite motorcycle EVER and get a hobby I could both DD and wheel, and take the family. So I got it because I still wanted a hobby I enjoyed that I could do with the family. I've always wanted a Jeep, this was just my excuse to get one.

Quick Reply: So why did you initially buy a Jeep?