Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a Jeep JK?
To get the best commercially built 4x4 available?
65.89%
To be a mall crawler (all jacked up and no where to go)
2.33%
For The status (no intention of getting it dirty)
3.88%
Word of mouth
0%
Just figured "What the hell eh?"
27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

So why did you initially buy a Jeep?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
Wow! Sounds like sfntexas you really don't like your Jeep. Personally I love this JKU and all the other Jeeps I had before this. They are reliable, inexpensive, and have amazingly good resale value.

One of my roommates in college had an '86 CJ-7 that I thought was the coolest vehicle I had ever seen...so my very first new car outta college was an '89 YJ with a 4 cylinder and no AC. I met my wife in that one. I will own them until I can't get in the damn thing.

Jeeps rule!
It's not that I don't like my Jeep, but with a MSRP of over $35,000 I expected a little more.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
JK Newbie

Like most guys born in the 70's I have great memories of friends and neighbors that had CJ's, riding to the monster truck shows at the Silverdome in the bed of pick up trucks down M-59, seeing all the Jeeps heading to the Sand Dunes at the end of the school year for summer vacation. After growing up, getting married and having a couple of kids. I was offered a 07 JK at a price I couldnt refuse half way through my deployment to Afghanistan. I have been obsessing about cruising the in the desert with my kids, teaching them to drive, building as much as I can for the Jeep with my kids and getting out of the house.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking for a new pick up truck. I couldn't get what I wanted and so I sold my other truck and said 'what the hell if I have to settle I will get what I really want instead' - a mean-ass CJ. I bought one loved it, found some guys to wheel with and will never go without a wrangler... When my wife told me we were pregnant and it came time to get something more reliable I got my JKU Rubi.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

None of your poll options fit.
I'll preface my current purchase with a brief vehicle background.
I've been driving a 4 x 4 vehicle (truck or Jeep) as my primary vehicle for the last 25-26 years. I don't off road, but I am very concerned with being able to transport myself over snowy rural roads. My 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is my 3rd Jeep and I've had three different 4 x 4 trucks.

Purchase decision based on 3 primary factors and 1 inherent factor.
4WD, 4 doors, convertible, (no other vehicle offers all three of those factors in one package) and style.

I also like the simplistic (less to tear up) manual windows & door locks as well as the standard transmission.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

My buddy bought an 08 JKU and before that I never considered one because they were too small for a family of four. Well five of us went camping and everything fit in his JKU. That sold me on it. So once my boring car was paid off I went and bought my 2011JKU.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Default None of the above

None of the options covered my decision.
I had a TJ and wanted a 4DR when they came out but wasn't practical at the time. So I wanted and when I was ready I bought another Jeep. I like the ability to take the top down and remove the doors. Nothing like it.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

I've had three jeeps since the 90's and never let me down. Why mess with perfection.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Because all the cool kids were getting one. Lol. J/k
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have always wanted a Jeep. So I traded in a Ford Exploder for my first one, a 2003 TJ. In 2006 that one was totaled (old lady pulled out in front of us) and it was a no brainer to get another Jeep and as luck would have it, the new 4 doors were out and on the lot. Could not be happier with it, it has taken us all over the place, east coast, west coast and a few places in between.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

My main reason was the 64lb pitbull I rescued. He made a mess of the backseat in my last vehicle. I also always knew that at some point I would have a Jeep in my collection of cars, it just happened sooner than expected.

Quick Reply: So why did you initially buy a Jeep?