Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a Jeep JK?
To get the best commercially built 4x4 available?
65.89%
To be a mall crawler (all jacked up and no where to go)
2.33%
For The status (no intention of getting it dirty)
3.88%
Word of mouth
0%
Just figured "What the hell eh?"
27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

So why did you initially buy a Jeep?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Jeep people, here is something you probably don't want to hear. I bought my 08 Rubi because I had no choice. I've owned International Scouts all my life, but I just got tired of having to work on 30-40 year old vehicles. So in my infinite wisdom I thought, gee I'll buy a brand new Jeep so I won't have to work on it. Guess what! Over 35,000 dollars later, I still have to work on a vehicle. The weiny ass engine won't go down the highway in OD in a headwind or a hill like it's supposed to with any larger tires than stock. The thing is 90% plastic including the t-case shift cable retainer that left me without 4x4 the 2nd time I took it wheeling. The drivelines strike the skid plates with almost any kind of lift at full suspension droop. I could go on and on and I haven't even owned my Jeep for a full year yet. The point is, I wanted a vehicle that was offroad capable and I could take the top off. So, there is no other choice but a Jeep. Its a shame it took them so many years to build a Jeep with most of the same features you could buy on a stock Scout 30 years ago, and I'll bet you it didn't cost 35K. And you still can't get a V8!!!!! As long as we consumers don't demand any better from Chrysler, they are the only choice any of us have .
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

When I was a kid a guy down the street bought a Golden Eagle. Every time he rumbled past my house I fell more and more in love with that Jeep. When I got older I cruised around my grandpa's farm in an old Comanche. Finally got my own Jeep. Grandpa still has the old one and I still want it. He won't let it go just yet...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

I bought mine for the wife to drive as the family vehichle, and when our daughter gets a little older we can go 4x4'n together. We have always been into offroading grown up with dirt bikes,quads, prerunner trucks an so on. So we turned our family jeep into a rock crawler and have been have'n fun ever since.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Um, best commercially built 4x that I don't mind thrashing. I'd argue that the Benz G class and unimog, as well as the land rover defender are as good or better than the wrangler. Only the Merc G is sold here but they run upwards of 100k new. I don't feel so bad beating up a 34k truck.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Zombies.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Wow! Sounds like sfntexas you really don't like your Jeep. Personally I love this JKU and all the other Jeeps I had before this. They are reliable, inexpensive, and have amazingly good resale value.

One of my roommates in college had an '86 CJ-7 that I thought was the coolest vehicle I had ever seen...so my very first new car outta college was an '89 YJ with a 4 cylinder and no AC. I met my wife in that one. I will own them until I can't get in the damn thing.

Jeeps rule!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parents had a 90 Cherokee limited, loved it to death! Dad wrote it off and got a truck, I grew up with the mountain across the road and every one had quads and dirt bikes and toyotas so when I was 14 I got a 87 Cherokee wagoneer, built it and wheeled the shit out of it, did every quad trail I could find, till I hit a tree doing 100 km/h. On the walk down the mountain I bought another one ( guy I was with had a car lot ) so I got a 88 Cherokee and had it for all of high school, put a 5" lift and 33" tires on it untill it started to rust real bad so I sold it, so after 4 years of driving cars and getting speeding tickets I decided I wanted to get back into wheelin so I walked into the dealer and special ordered my jeep, I got the very first jeep jk sport on the island!!!!! Never going to sell it, she's a part of the family, her lift is going on this Sunday <3
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

My requirements were... automatic, 4wd, a/c, and heat.

I had just sold a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited.
The thing was nickel and dime-ing me to death with little repairs.
Climate control $900
Master window switch $300
Push button center differential actuator = take motor out to get to!
Too much technology to work on yourself and expensive to replace.

Enough, I wanted as simple as I could get!
Manual crank window.
Cable controlled climate dials.
Actual 4wd shifting linkage and cables.
Easier and cheaper to repair or replace.
Huge aftermarket supply.

Livin the simple life now and putting the money into mods.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

This is my third Jeep and first 4 door Jeep. Plan on it going to the son in about 14.5 years!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Topless and doorless ness

Quick Reply: So why did you initially buy a Jeep?