Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Why did you buy a Jeep JK?
To get the best commercially built 4x4 available?
65.89%
To be a mall crawler (all jacked up and no where to go)
2.33%
For The status (no intention of getting it dirty)
3.88%
Word of mouth
0%
Just figured "What the hell eh?"
27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

So why did you initially buy a Jeep?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So why did you initially buy a Jeep?

I'm doing a paper up on the Ethnography of Jeep JK owners and club members and was wondering what originally drew Jeep Jk owners to the brand / model / version you currently have or have had. The poll relates the the narrowed down options that I have been thinking of basing my paper on.

Thanks to all who happen to respond to the poll !

Ethnography is basically the fundamental research method of cultural anthropology, and the written text produced to report ethnographic research results.

Last edited by Spetz; 06-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad had a 1979 CJ-7 when he met my mom. I remember sitting BEHIND the rear seat on top of the cooler, in one of those little CJ-7!!! We drove all over Colorado back in the 80's... Creede, Lake City, South Fork. Some of my fondest memories were of the dash board on that thing... HUGE speedo and knobs you pull out toward you, lol.

I've wanted a Jeep for as long as I cold remember, but until I met my wife, I was never in a position to afford one. As soon as I got married and more stable financially the 4 door came out... gave me a boner.

Don't use the boner part in your paper.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spetz
I'm doing a paper up on the Ethnography of Jeep JK owners and club members and was wondering what originally drew Jeep Jk owners to the brand / model / version you currently have or have had. The poll relates the the narrowed down options that I have been thinking of basing my paper on.

Thanks to all who happen to respond to the poll !

Ethnography is basically the fundamental research method of cultural anthropology, and the written text produced to report ethnographic research results.
I think your professor/teacher would not like the wording of your polling question. There is a lot of bias built into it. Your results won't be an accurate representation of the Jeep culture.

I think he or she would say the design of your poll lacks aesthetic merit, impact, and will fail to accurately express reality.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thought everyone was doing it
Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
im 18.
and wanted a fun car.
had nice cars in the past, but that wasnt for me.
i had a lifted XK jeep commander. but it was 3.7L so didnt have 4lo. and needed that.
so figured, why not get a highly recommended vehicle with great resale value, and awesome off road, WITH GOOD GAS MILEAGE. (compared to my commander)
You used the C word.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

It's kinda funny for me, I've always loved trucks and 4x4's. When I got married, my wife told me her dream vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler. Well, that's not a hard dream to make come true. That's when we got her first new vehicle- 2000 Amber Fire Wrangler Sport. It didn't take me long to LOVE!!!! that Jeep. Next came kids and the ultimate practical replacement vehicle. 6 years later and not a moment too soon, I got my JK. Everything my wife didn't want me to do to her Jeep, I've done x2 to mine. I love the simplicity and rugged capabilities right out of the box. I love the confidence in have to wrench on it opposed to some vehicles I've owned, and the ultimate fun factor is second to none!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a '91 Yj 4 cylinder that was awesome in highschool but didn't get the job done so I upgraded to a '00 TJ 4.0L and lifted it and loved it to death but I wanted to do so much more to it and needed a better daily driver.. hence the Unlimited Rubi.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

I bought my 07 JK because its AWESOME. I bought my first Jeep (a 1994 Sahara back in 1994) because chicks dig um and I could cruise with the top off and meet girls easier. IT WORKED. I was 17.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I've wanted one since I was 16. 16 yrs later I picked mine up after I figured out it was going to be ridiculous to try to strap kayaks to the top of a camero ss. Best decision I ever made, and I love wrenching on the thing with my buddies and making it truly mine and one of a kind. Not many rides out there you can fully customize your ride with a Ups delivery and a set of wrenchs!

The dirty pumpkin will be a proud member of my family until it drives no more... then we might just have to rebuild her
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted a jeep for years!! Dad had an old Willys way back when. I finally bought a barely used 2008 Rubicon last summer.

Quick Reply: So why did you initially buy a Jeep?