Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

So, what is the deal with bumpers?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dustjunkie
Sully,

Neither. It is just that so far, I have not been able to come up with a good reason to spend $1500 on a couple of bumpers. I am trying to understand why people spend so much on something that doesn't seem necessary.

Do aftermarket bumpers really change approach departure angles much? I know the stock ones stick out to far on the sides, but that can easily be trimmed.

what is with the rubbing issues? Is it cause the tires were big, or cause the bumper was deformed?

Lets take two stock Rubis to start with.

replace the bumpers on one, and add the winch, tire rack etc. to that one.

The other, add the winch plate to the stock bumper, and add a Or-Fab tire/can carrier.

what can one do that the other cannot?

dj

Yeah my big tires caused the rubbing, but the metal structure was pushed back that contributed to the rub. I would not have paid $1500 for a bumper either. But I would and did pay $700

As far as angles and clearance goes, a front stubby provides way more of each hands down.

It looks like you are not looking for a reason to replace your bumper yet a reason not too. I say do what makes you happy. It is in reality the only thing that matters.

The 1st time you contact a tree or big rock, remember we tried to tell you.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredawg_mg
The 1st time you contact a tree or big rock, remember we tried to tell you.
Let me paraphrase... Run it until you tear it up, and then ask yourself whether you want to replace it with plastic or metal.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The switchbacks on Black Bear Pass did my stock bumper in. Putting a bumper with real recovery points (hate those hooks), light tabs, bull bar and winch mount at $495 was a no-brainer for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dustjunkie
... Is it really an advantage to have a steel bumper for smashing into rocks? Dudn't make sense to me, why would you hit a rock with your bumper? ...
Because accidents happen. My son backed my JK into a pole in a parking lot at about 1 mph. The spare tire rack was toast. If we'd paid Jeep to repair, it would have easily cost $300. Seer1 sold me his old one for a great price, but the point is that the rear is virtually unprotected. As for the front: I don't know where it happened, but my stock front had a "dent" in it. I've seen lots of JKs with dents in that plastic stock bumper. So, obviously there are plenty of folks who are not adept at avoiding rocks, poles, etc. I guess that's because driving in places like this is so dang much fun:

Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Protection, you never plan on bumping or sliding into something but it happens.

Looks, aftermarket bumpers are a lot nicer looking than stock.

Clearance, with my lift and 35's at full flex my tires hit the front bumper.

Strength, to hold more than a 35" spare you will need an aftermarket bumper. Unless you are able to come up with a mod but not everyone is capable of homemade mods whether it is a lack of tools or skills.

Preference, to make the Jeep your own.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Form and functionality

Everyone wants there Jeep to be unique and everyone uses there jeep differently.

There is no perfect answer to your question.

You change your bumper because you want to and you can.

That's what make owning a Jeep SOOOO COOOOLL!!!!!!!

Options upon options

Isn' that why you bought a Jeep in the first place?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

I picked up my front bumper for function. I narrowed my search by different features, then I chose which one on looks that had all the features that I wanted.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Because I have to deal with all the wildlife on the roads in suburbia, carparks, idiots pulling out infront or running up the back of you........
Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like others have said...I chose mine for function and looks...I wanted a stubby for better approach angles, recovery points, winch mounting, skid plate, durability & well they look freakin AWESOME! For the rear....I slid into a tree on a trail and the plastic bumper was toast, I would rather spend a little more and get a quality rear bumper with tire carrier than another plastic piece of crap.

That's the best part of owning a Jeep make it your own & do what you want...screw what anyone else thinks of it....it's your $$$ right?!?!?!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Is this guy having CAR withrawals? Please, counselor's keep it comin!

Quick Reply: So, what is the deal with bumpers?