Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

So, what is the deal with bumpers?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Well, to mount a winch. Also, some have built-in skid plates, or some people actually need the stinger. But, there is no denying that looks is a big factor as well.
All you need is a mounting plate to put a winch on

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 12-08-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only two additional reasons that I have read so far are impact protection during an unintended collision (car, deer or rock), or skid protection for steep approach/departure angles.

Regarding impact protection, I have also hit a deer with a big bumper, and was glad I had it, but I hardly think that is a reason to spend $700 on a bumper. Oh, and don't hit cars. The way I see it, if you are backing into rocks, you should use spotters more.

Skid protection makes way more sense, but wouldn't a purpose built tube frame skid plate front and rear be a better option? And it could be much lighter too...

Speaking of lighter, aren't there downsides to having that big heavy steel bumper hanging off the front and/or rear of your Jeep?

dj
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey DJ,

Are you trying to talk yourself out of bumpers or into them?

We can try to come up with tons of functional reasons, but we all know we do it so our Jeeps look good. You have to admit the stock ones don't look so good once you lift your JK, add rails, wheels, armor, aux lights, etc.

We add bumpers to make our Jk our own and stand out amongst the masses of stock Jeeps.

I guess I will be the one to say it...

"It's a Jeep thing".
Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing my front was all about function. After several trail contacts with the plastic non-bumper I began to have tire rubbing issues that required me to remove the plastic part. Of course I lost my fogs then. I still had occasional rubbing issues on the metal structure of the bumper on steep descents.

So of course when I replaced the bumper with something I liked why wouldn't I. I have so much more fun offroad now because I have a ton more clearance and better approach angles.

If you don't want to replace your stock bumper I suggest you never get it near anything. They are pretty flimsy.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sully,

Neither. It is just that so far, I have not been able to come up with a good reason to spend $1500 on a couple of bumpers. I am trying to understand why people spend so much on something that doesn't seem necessary.

Do aftermarket bumpers really change approach departure angles much? I know the stock ones stick out to far on the sides, but that can easily be trimmed.

what is with the rubbing issues? Is it cause the tires were big, or cause the bumper was deformed?

Lets take two stock Rubis to start with.

replace the bumpers on one, and add the winch, tire rack etc. to that one.

The other, add the winch plate to the stock bumper, and add a Or-Fab tire/can carrier.

what can one do that the other cannot?

dj
Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Just my opinion. I think that is the point of this thread right?

I replaced my rear bumper to enable a tire swing, in order to hold my 37" spare.
Can not be accomplished with a factory bumper
I used a winch plate and I customized my front bumper so the winch sits down and in.

BUT I have considered a full steel front bumper after taking the factory one apart and seeing that it is ONLY asthetics and serves NO real protection from anything. (except leaners and tall grass..lol )
Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Well DJ, it sounds like you are fine with your stock bumpers but some folks are not. I'd say that's all it is. So that being said, I don't think you are going to get a response that will ever truly answer your question sufficiantly.

I have my stock bumpers on my Rubicon and my concern with switching them is that it will lead to more work and money needed. The stock rake is already bad enough so in my opinion if I wanted to get an aftermarket front bumper I would need to get HD coils, poly spacers or a complete lift to deal with the weight and right now I couldn't swing all of that expense.

I'm not a big fan of the front bumper so I am saving to swap it out and all of the rest that would be needed to do it correctly.

The rear bumper doesn't bother me so unless at some point I need an aftermarket spare carrier due to tire size I'm not so sure I'll be rushing to change it. That's just what works for me. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if you can do this without rubbing, or when climbing 3ft+ verticals. Having steel is no brainier, instead of all those nice looking plastic dents. If you wheel in the Northeast you will more than likely wheel in some form of mud at some point. No tires will keep you off trees or rocks when your sliding around. so I would say if your using it hard you will wish you had steel. If your just strolling around, plastic is fine.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Dude, you're killing us. It's to keep the wives guessing.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Hey..... I have plenty of clearance with stock. Those parking curbs at the mall don't even come close!

And why would you drive off road when Obama is going to FIX all of decaying roads?

Quick Reply: So, what is the deal with bumpers?