Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

So, what is the deal with bumpers?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, what is the deal with bumpers?

First, lets keep aesthetics out of it. I know everyone has a look they want...

That being said, why replace your bumper? I can think of a couple of reasons:

Front Bumper:
1: Winch mount

Rear Bumper
1: Winch mount
2: tire carrier

The thing is, all these things can be accomplished without putting a big heavy steel bumper on the front and back of your Jeep.

Is it really an advantage to have a steel bumper for smashing into rocks? Dudn't make sense to me, why would you hit a rock with your bumper?

All that being said, the only real need for a new bumper is for looks so far as I can tell...

Please help me to understand...

dj
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, to mount a winch. Also, some have built-in skid plates, or some people actually need the stinger. But, there is no denying that looks is a big factor as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Well, to mount a winch. Also, some have built-in skid plates, or some people actually need the stinger. But, there is no denying that looks is a big factor as well.
I mentioned winch mount, but you can easily mount a winch to a stock bumper.

dj
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aesthetics is the winner here, but there is an argument for clearance, which is why the stubby's are so popular.

----------------
Now playing: Isis - Holy Tears (Album Version)
via FoxyTunes
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

In a perfect wheeling world, you woulnd't need bumpers or skid plates. You would always keep your tires on the rocks, and the approach and departure angles would always be perfect. But then the real world smacks your rear bumper on a rock because the rockstep is taller than your tire (Moab), or you slide off rock or it moves under you and you bang into a boulder (Rubicon).
So looks is a reason, but durability is a factor. And if you buy a stout bumper, it allows you to use it as part of your wheeling weapons. Sort of like using your sliders to pivot around rocks. You can't do that with perrty' aluminum 'bought for show and not for go' sliders.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Try hitting a deer at 60mph with your stock bumper. Then talk to vtee:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/aev-front-bumper-extra-strong-64089/

If you're going through heavy brush on a trail, or debris is hitting you head-on, a heavy bumper with a grill guard or winch hoop is a huge advantage and helps to protect the fenders, grill and hood of your Jeep.

Also, many after-market bumpers offer attachment points for hi-lift jacks and multiple mounting points for additional off-road lighting. Most of them offer more protection for your trackbars, sway bar motors, and other components that are susceptible to damage with the use of heavy-gauge skid plates in the front.

I think the rear bumper is necessary when you have 35" or bigger tires. Although the stock carrier will hold a 35" tire, the tailgate suffers if you use it much like I do. Many rear bumpers now come with jerry can adapters, hi-lift mounts, CB antenna mounts, additional rear lighting, storage and built-in hitches.

I think aestetics of the bumper comes in to play when deciding which bumper to choose. I think most folks feel they need a heavier-duty after-market bumper to make their trails easier. Same reason we lift our Jeeps and install handle grips on the roll bars. You don't "need" them, but it makes it much easier and more enjoyable to hit the trails.

Hope this helps you.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can a tire carrier really be installed on the stock bumper? Honest question. I don't know what the bumper is like under the plastic cover. Other than recovery points for D-rings, the tire carrier is the only reason I'd replace the rear bumper.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
aesthetics is the winner here, but there is an argument for clearance, which is why the stubby's are so popular.

----------------
Now playing: Isis - Holy Tears (Album Version)
via FoxyTunes
protection too... I cant count the number of times my bumper has saved my bacon from frat guys, old ladies, and teenagers backing into my vehicle in parking lots
Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

built in skid plate, backing into things and denting that wonderful plastic bumper we have....been there done that, those are good reasons
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Front is mostly for looks and to mount a winch.

Rear is for protection from idiots who don't stop in time to keep from hitting you. If that happens with the stock bumper, you are going to have a major repair bill on the frame and body, 'cause there's about 10 ounces of steel in the rear bumper (mounting brackets), the rest is plastic.

It also helps if you happen to back into a tree or a rock on the trail...it happens.

Quick Reply: So, what is the deal with bumpers?